"Best" Tanks for Sidemount, and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going from a SM set of regs, to a reg with an backup 2nd for monkey diving, takes removing one hose from a first stage, removing a plug from the other first stage, then installing said hose, into said now-opened port on said(other) first stage. It ain't hard... and it takes one wrench.

Was thinking more of going from a Sidemount reg to a singles setup. A bit more messing about. Maybe I'm just lazy :D

:confused: Okay, I thought I was following, but now I'm confused . . . what else does one do?

:rofl3: Okay, stop picking on the ignorant!!! :rofl3: "Monkey diving"?:rofl3: and 45s? Why not just go single tank?

Jax,

Sidemounting is typically used to solve a couple of problems. The first is to provide a lower profile when cave or wreck diving to allow access into areas where back mounted doubles make you too "tall." They are also easier to take off and push through a restriction ahead of you than a set of doubles.

It's also used by some as a more streamlined alternative to back mounted doubles when doing OW dives where redundancy is needed. Some people also prefer sidemount over doubles because they are easier to get in the water with in some instances (physical/medical challenges).

Reg/hose configurations are slightly different as well. It's a matter of using the right tools for the dive.

If someone wants to do single tank, OW diving I don't know that there would be much added benefit to SM diving vs. a back mounted single.

Going from a SM set of regs, to a reg with an backup 2nd for monkey diving, takes removing one hose from a first stage, removing a plug from the other first stage, then installing said hose, into said now-opened port on said(other) first stage. It ain't hard... and it takes one wrench.

Jax,

Reg/hose configurations are slightly different as well. It's a matter of using the right tools for the dive.

I understand the sidemounts are independent doubles, but SuPrBuGmAn's description of rigging for singles made sense. I'm thinking that if I traveled somewhere, it would be nice to not take two rigs since I already peg the luggage weight scales.

If someone wants to do single tank, OW diving I don't know that there would be much added benefit to SM diving vs. a back mounted single.

Again, I'm looking at luggage weight restrictions -- if the Nomad allows both, it would trim down the gear load when I fly. If I went to Cozumel, for example, I could dive singles on rec dives with my buddy and use the same rig to do a class on the mainland.

Just gathering info . . . So far I think I've got that the Nomad rig will allow (not optimally?) for single tanks while performing best with sidemounts. Am I off? :popcorn:

I understand the sidemounts are independent doubles, but SuPrBuGmAn's description of rigging for singles made sense. I'm thinking that if I traveled somewhere, it would be nice to not take two rigs since I already peg the luggage weight scales.

Again, I'm looking at luggage weight restrictions -- if the Nomad allows both, it would trim down the gear load when I fly. If I went to Cozumel, for example, I could dive singles on rec dives with my buddy and use the same rig to do a class on the mainland.

Just gathering info . . . So far I think I've got that the Nomad rig will allow (not optimally?) for single tanks while performing best with sidemounts. Am I off? :popcorn:

I've got a friend with a SM rig, but I've never compared weight of it vs. just a BP. Looking at some of the clips and hardware that you have to take to make SM work, I dunno that you'd come out any lighter than just using an AL or one of the plastic BPW combos for travel.

True, but I'm looking to the future and the "Intro to" classes want you in doubles . .. of some sort!

Have you looked at the new Hollis sidemount bcd? They claim you can use sidemount, backmounted singles, etc:

Hollis SMS 100 Sidemount System

There's also the Oxycheq Recon, I have one but haven't actually used it but thinking of trying it with a backmounted single until I can take a sidemount class. So far from trying it out with cambands, it felt good at home but haven't dived it yet.

Sidemount - OxyCheq Recon Sidemount System - Northeast Scuba Supply

Have you looked at the new Hollis sidemount bcd? They claim you can use sidemount, backmounted singles, etc:

Hollis SMS 100 Sidemount System

There's also the Oxycheq Recon, I have one but haven't actually used it but thinking of trying it with a backmounted single until I can take a sidemount class. So far from trying it out with cambands, it felt good at home but haven't dived it yet.

Sidemount - OxyCheq Recon Sidemount System - Northeast Scuba Supply

Thanks -- I'm looking at everything!

However, I've not seen the same enthusiastic support for the Hollis that the Nomad gets. I'm lurking and watching and reading. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom