"Best" Tanks for Sidemount, and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no perfect...

I agree. Perfect is defined by the situation. I own 72s, lp80s, 85's, 95's, 108's, and 120's,and will use different tanks for different types of caves and types of dives ie survey/exploration. When I encounter someone who is very new to sidemounting I usually encourage 85's because of their bouyancy and trim characterisitics.

Do you prefer the Fabers or Worthingtons? I started out with Worthington LP85s and still have two that aren't doubled up.

So, do you have a singles rig and a sidemount rig? Or do you put a single on your sidemount rig?
The Nomad can be used side mount, with back mounted doubles or with a single tank. That capability would be great if I were flying to one or more destinations on the same trip where I needed to dive in sidemount, single or back mounted doubles configurations.

However, given a choice, I dive a sidemount configuration in places I want to side mount, I dive back mount with a SS plate and doubles wing in places I want to back mount in a dry suit and I dive an AL plate, single tank wing and wet suit on tropical pretty fish dives.

If I could only own one configuration and had to do all three types of diving, the Nomad would be a serious contender, but is less than optimum for back mounted doubles or single tank diving.

If I were mixing single tank and multi tank dives on a trip I would just take my Nomad.

Yes, plus a set of wrenches to rearrange hose routing/length.

Obviously Alum 80's work nice, especially for starting out and learning skill development and techniques, but if you are using steel tanks, old steel 72's work but I feel that the LP85's are real nice. If you need more gas, the HP 120's (3500psi) are also work well. The commonality as you can see is the skinnier tanks. I have dove LP98's and have trimmed out real nice but i just find the the 8 inch tanks are a little more cumbersome to work with compared to the skinnier tanks.

Jax, any reason in particular you're looking to dive sidemount? Redundancy?

At this point, I really don't know what I want to be when I grow up! :)

I expect to take a lot of classes, up to and including Intro to Tec and Intro to Cave, and then decide how much further I wish to take my training.

For personal reasons, I will never go back-mounted doubles, nor rebreather. Therefore, sidemount.

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to proffer opinion and answer questions! I'm learning a lot from you and I'm being guided to the right people and thought processes for the way ahead.

:hm: Now, if I can only get this work thingy to cooperate . . .

That's good to hear. I don't expect to dive doubles anywhere we go on vacation. Shoot, I don't expect to dive two tanks this year! :)

So, do you have a singles rig and a sidemount rig? Or do you put a single on your sidemount rig?

What I'd like to hear is that I could use a sidemount rig for both sidemount, and single tank when I travel.

When I mentioned monkey diving, just slinging one tank on the side(can't do that with heavy steels btw), its for single tank recreational diving. I really only do this when I don't want to pack two sets of gear, or if my recreational BC is spoken for...

Do you prefer the Fabers or Worthingtons? I started out with Worthington LP85s and still have two that aren't doubled up.

For bigger tanks... Fabers... 85s and down, Worthingtons. Atleast IMO.

Back
Top Bottom