Best tacos in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudBug

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going solo to Cozumel this September. My first solo trip outside the US.

I have been to Cozumel three times before but always in group charters and such.

I will be doing mostly morning dives which will lend me to having my afternoons free for exploration and such.

One thing I truly enjoy is tacos, well...who doesn't?

So.....what I thought I would do is rent a scooter for one or two days and tour Cozumel and hit up the various taco houses on the island and sample a recommended taco or two from each of them. I have been dieting lately and have shed about 20 pounds and will lose another six to reach my goal.

So, here is what I propose.

I am willing the make the sacrifice of my waistline in order to determine where one should go for the best tacos. I will try to hit as many of the taco houses as I can in the one or two days I have to do this.

If you have a favorite taco house for me to sample please list the name and the street address of the place and the taco you think I should eat.
I am not a picky eater and am fine with octopus, shrimp, beef, pork chicken, tongue....you name it. The only thing I ask is that this be a sit down restaurant where I can enjoy the meal, no street vendors.

I ask of you to list the one place and the one taco you think should be on my list.

Bon apatite,
Mudbug

I am going solo to Cozumel this September. My first solo trip outside the US.

I have been to Cozumel three times before but always in group charters and such.

I will be doing mostly morning dives which will lend me to having my afternoons free for exploration and such.

One thing I truly enjoy is tacos, well...who doesn't?

So.....what I thought I would do is rent a scooter for one or two days and tour Cozumel and hit up the various taco houses on the island and sample a recommended taco or two from each of them. I have been dieting lately and have shed about 20 pounds and will lose another six to reach my goal.

So, here is what I propose.

I am willing the make the sacrifice of my waistline in order to determine where one should go for the best tacos. I will try to hit as many of the taco houses as I can in the one or two days I have to do this.

If you have a favorite taco house for me to sample please list the name and the street address of the place and the taco you think I should eat.
I am not a picky eater and am fine with octopus, shrimp, beef, pork chicken, tongue....you name it. The only thing I ask is that this be a sit down restaurant where I can enjoy the meal, no street vendors.

I ask of you to list the one place and the one taco you think should be on my list.

Bon apatite,
Mudbug
For me, with many years of experience in Cozumel, the best is El Pique on 30 at Juarez.

Dave Dillehay

Sadly the best taco places aren't always open during the day. Tacos tends to be a more evening/late night activity.. I humbly suggest ceviche by day (El Pezcazon or El Sazon de Camaron) and tacos by nite (Tacos Diaz or El Pique).

Sadly the best taco places aren't always open during the day. Tacos tends to be a more evening/late night activity.. I humbly suggest ceviche by day (El Pezcazon or El Sazon de Camaron) and tacos by nite (Tacos Diaz or El Pique).
I like ceviche.
I can make it a long day. I'm out of the boat by noon or so and can do the tacos till 10:00 pm....should be able to hit most of them.

I've always loved El Pique and Los Tacotales. I was surprised when a couple of locals I've become friends with - who don't know each other - kinda thumbed them down, saying they used to be better.

They both suggested Taqueria El Mexicano on Juarez by 15A for authentic Mexico City tacos.

One was a fan of the Blue Truck, on Ave Canto about 100 yards from Melgar, near the southern cruise terminal.

One was a big fan of Taqueria Tzalam, on 30A near Salas.

And a SB and FB favorite is Diego's on 65A across from the airport.

Ok, in the running so far we have:

1) El Pique on 30 at Juarez.
2) Tacos Diaz 30 Avenida entre 2 Norte y Av. Juarez
3) Taqueria El Mexicano on Juarez by 15A
4) Diego's on 65A across from the airport.

Generally, if you're picky, I recommend ordering a slab of meat too big to possibly be an iguana or cotimundi.

But you're not, so cool.

Enjoy your Tacos. I liked the beach restaurant and bar on the park side. No idea what it was called. Something non specific like the "Limp Parrot" or something.

Generally, if you're picky, I recommend ordering a slab of meat too big to possibly be an iguana or cotimundi.

But you're not, so cool.

Enjoy your Tacos. I liked the beach restaurant and bar on the park side. No idea what it was called. Something non specific like the "Limp Parrot" or something.
Was Limp Parrot the name of the dive or the featured protein?

I've always loved El Pique and Los Tacotales. I was surprised when a couple of locals I've become friends with - who don't know each other - kinda thumbed them down, saying they used to be better.
I would agree with your friends.
In fact, Los Tacotales was downright crappy when we were there in April.
Doubt that we'll ever be back.

The below in no particular order... enjoy!
  1. Carnitas Diaz (Avenida 65 Sur 63)
  2. Taqueria Diaz (Av Pedro Joaquin Coldwell 150)
  3. Taqueria El Pique (Av Pedro Joaquin Coldwell)
  4. Taqueria El Camaron Dorado (Av Juarez, 105 Av Sur)
  5. Los Seras Tacos (C. Jose Maria Morelos)
I agree that Los Tacotales did not stand out, and El Chino Marinero was fine, but was a bit shady with their bills (which appeared to happen often when I checked Google reviews again later).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom