Best Morning departure time for optimal sea life viewing, does it make any difference?- Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a snorkeling standpoint , I have noticed that at the peak of the day (12-3) I tend to see less but that is obviously very shallow water (<15 feet ) and therefore very strong sunlight

I haven’t noticed as much of a difference diving. I have dove at almost all times of the day for various reasons. I too prefer the afternoon dives , fewer divers and depending on time of year you catch the various things that come out at twilight.

Purely anecdotal, but I noticed far more larger life on the reefs first thing in the morning diving with 3P's (fast boats, smaller pax, earlier to drop than other operators) and on afternoon dives when there are not many others out on the water. It makes sense- even the most seasoned animals that are used to humans probably swim away when there are 30-40 divers hovering over and shining lights in their faces. BUT it all depends on everything else- weather, currents, moon phase, luck, etc.....

My all time favorite Coz dive was an afternoon on Cedral Pass. I think there were only 4 of us on the boat, and no other ops in sight. It was 60 minutes of non stop animals- 3 variety of turtle (with multiple sightings) huge free swimming morays, rays, nurse sharks,, baby blacktips, schooling fish, etc. It was so much fun.

I've always really enjoyed the twilight/night dive combo. Seeing the reefs under the afternoon light is definitely a different perspective, and then you go right into a night dive after your SI. Great little 2 tank trip.

Back
Top Bottom