Best spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I broke a spring strap yesterday at the end of a dive. The plastic quick release buttons snapped off. I am looking into warranty but if I end up have to replace them at my own cost I want to make sure my next straps are higher quality.

I am leaning towards models with all-steel parts but I would love to hear from other divers.

Thanks

Bob

What kind did you have, that broke?

I've got a set of EZ Spring Straps (link) on my Mares Avanti X3 fins. The straps have the all-metal keyhole plates that clip onto the fins' "mushroom" posts.

I love the comfort with the wide "puller," and the grip of the rubber d-ring. However, I'm noticing a bit of abrasion of the fins' post caused by the metal keyhole plate, after only about 30 dives. Nothing much, just something to watch out for.

They're "ProBlue". I like the look of those Mares but you scared me with the "wear" issue.

Thanks!

Bob

Those posts are so tough I don't think you're running any risk with that type mount.

I make springs for those type fins using SS anchor shackles, as they work well & I don't have a source for the keyhole type ends.

I like the look of those Mares but you scared me with the "wear" issue.

Mares are the fins; the straps are EZ Spring Straps.

Yeah, it's scaring me a bit too; I love these fins, and they're getting harder to find.

Well, not scaring me exactly -- more like making me keep an eye on it. What it is, is I can see abrasion marks -- not significant wear yet.

Not sure any other brand of spring straps with metal plates is going to be gentler on plastic fin posts.

Everything's a trade-off, I guess... as you found out!

Manta straps seem bullet proof in the pin/cam style, but the adapter for button style fins may have the same issue....

I built my own spring straps about 10 years ago and have never had a problem. They were simple. I purchased the springs (stainless steel) from McMaster-Carr. The plastic tubing from the local hardware store and the fastners (Stainless), screw also from the hardware store. A dab of Loc-Tight on the screw thread and viola a spring strap.
Several of my buddies made theirs copying my design. None have failed to my knowledge. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCN0185.jpg
    DSCN0185.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0186.jpg
    DSCN0186.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 106
I built my own spring straps about 10 years ago and have never had a problem. They were simple. I purchased the springs (stainless steel) from McMaster-Carr. The plastic tubing from the local hardware store and the fastners (Stainless), screw also from the hardware store. A dab of Loc-Tight on the screw thread and viola a spring strap.
Several of my buddies made theirs copying my design. None have failed to my knowledge. Good luck.

I have these same spring straps on my USD Blades. Purchased as a kit from an eBay seller nearly 10 years ago ($25?) and they continue to work perfectly. The kit originally included a "limit cord" that went inside the spring to limit it's stretch, but I found this to be unnecessary and removed the cord.

I never put the limit cord in. Couldn't see me stretching the heck out of the springs, and have found I never needed it.

I had the Tilos (Looks exactly like EZ Spring) on my Mares and they worked great. Plus the price was reasonable. For my Jets I like the simplicity of XS Scuba, and it comes with hardwares that fit other fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom