Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Also found Seamark Nunn Discount Marine Supplies: Echomax EMI 230 Inflatable Radar Reflector
Still a little big IMO but not out of the question, I suppose, for the really
serious, like those carrying beacon radios....
Thats exactly what I was thinking of when the thoughts of having a foldable reflector built into a SMB top were posted. I would hope/think that at even half that diameter (say 6"-8") it would still be a worthwhile addition to a SMB

Great thread, and food for thought
... Any SMB manufacturers out there should be taking notes

Thats exactly what I was thinking of when the thoughts of having a foldable reflector built into a SMB top were posted. I would hope/think that at even half that diameter (say 6"-8") it would still be a worthwhile addition to a SMB

Great thread, and food for thought
... Any SMB manufacturers out there should be taking notes

I wrote them to find out what the deflated size is. I'll post their response.

Since it's inflatable, it might actually be something that would fit into a BC pocket.

It also looks like it will provide significant buoyancy.

Terry

This is what I carry every time I dive. It is sold through DAN. They consulted with the Coast Guard for recommendations. It is 6' tall, and has a reflective strip on one side. It supposed to visible from a mile away. The pouch at the bottom contains a signalling mirror, a whistle, and a glow stick. It can be inflated manually, with the reg via a one way gate valve in the bottom, or with the LP inflator hose. It has a clip on the bottom that I use to clup to a D-ring on my BC so it stands up hands free. I have used it a couple of times on drift dives, and the boat crew has no trouble seeing it.

641-1000.jpg

I'm still studying, but I've found some useful links I thought I'd share even before
reading all of them.
The company that makes that Echomax inflatable has a lot of resource tutorial info,
see in particular the various tabs under "Echomax in action".
EchoMax Radar Reflectors

And through that, under "Competing Products", this evaluation of available products
as of 1995, with quite a bit more tutorial info:
1995 Radar Reflector Test

Very nice, but not much use for diving.

Walter,

As Catherine mentioned, it can be put into a housing. OMS makes a housing that's good for 660fsw. Or, you could do like a I did and make your own canister. Mine is good for something like 750fsw. :D

Attachments

• CanisterClosed.JPG
    CanisterClosed.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 375
I've written up my thoughts on putting a reflective array in an SMB and related investigations, but I thought I'd put it in the R&D forum instead of inline here. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...eflective-smb-safety-sausage.html#post3274123

Quick summary:
- I think there could be a product here.
- Using foil-backed fabric for a simple tube, or in BC construction, probably doesn't buy you much.

Nice job on the R&D write-up. Looks like there's more than enough data provided for someone to study and come up with a prototype. I'll be interested to see if this concept goes anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom