Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget about the plume of spray. Nearly instantaneous duration and not very visible against every other bit of water splashing around.

FTCS (sorry, not sure what the Navy abbreviates the 'FT' rating, apologies if I'm off center) - RADAR reflectors are cool (BTW, seldom you see people that realize RADAR is an abbreviation - that's the difference between Gunners Mates and Fire Control Techs, though - those bigger words)....

Sorry, couldn't help it, got off track. Anyhow, yes, RADAR reflectors are cool, but if we're searching for a PIW, we're going to investigate any contact, big or small, that we can't rule out as a vessel in safe transit. The newer LCD RADAR's don't tune up quite the same as the old AN/SPS-69's that we could count seagulls on, but they are just about as good at picking up surface contacts. Fact remains, low lying surface contact is a low lying surface contact. You want to be found, you want to be a good visual contact, whether by motion, strobe, or smoke (didn't think of that one earlier - smoke is cool. Easy to spot. As far as a precise description of that PIW (person in the water - the term we apply to anyone that's in the water that shouldn't be) - I, and I assume any of my colleagues - will settle for the first guy we find on our search that is floating around where he shouldn't be. If he's not he guy we launched for - SWEEEEET, extra credit, we'll keep going for the guy we launched for and come back with an extra one. Haven't pulled that one off yet, but hope to someday. I mean, how could anyone ever top that? Launching for a PIW and coming back with an extra one nobody even knew was there? You can't top that! That would be the ultimate denoument of any Motor Lifeboatmen's career.

Is there anything radar reflective (some kind of reflector patch?) that could be attached to an SMB?

Terry

Yes. You can get some mylar ballons from any party store. Carry a few of them since they don't take up space. Tie them off to your SMB. A larger object is easier to locate.

BONUS
If you're executing a Trimix dive, carry a blowgun nozzle that connects to the LP BC hose. You can then create some very large, radar reflective, helium balloons that can be put up in the air for a even better signal to noise ratio. UFOs usually attract attention. :D

No sweat with the FTCS, although I wasn't one (FT is submariner, FC is surface, which I was). I still think a RADAR reflector would be a good option. If it gives a hit to search RADAR, and verification of source is called for via radio (ie - confirming it isn't a vessel - "vessel at LAT/LONG, confirm position", no response would be reason to further investigate RADAR hit by visual means). When diving, I carry almost everything else mentioned, but if a corner reflector was available on the market, I'd add that to my stash as well. It could be as easily deployed as a SMB. Actually, it could be attached to the top of a SMB, or how about making an SMB RADAR reflective? The reflector could be permanently placed (sewn in) inside the SMB at the top. When the SMB is inflated, the internal reflector stretches into position, providing 360 degree coverage. Anyone with the startup capital interested in building a prototype and testing it?

I have rigged a snap on my Zeagle SMB and figure I can snap the inflated SMB to one of the D-rings on my waist strap. If I snap it to the "scooter ring" it should keep the SMB upright in the water, fairly securely connected to me and maybe help me floating face up as well. Need to figure out a good way to mount a strobe on top of the SMB. That ought to increase visibility considerably.

Henrik

See the attached picture of what I did. I wanted to make sure the strobe wouldn't be lost. That would really suck if you're life depended on it. So, it's clipped off and should withstand rough seas. Note that there is a bike inner tube attached to the strobe lens to protect it when not in use.

Also, the CDs are being discounted. Don't throw them away just yet. They should not be used as visually reflective tools but RADAR REFLECTIVE tools. There was an article in the UK a while back that some folks discovered how well they reflect radar energy. So, I took four and fashioned them so they could be mounted on the top of the SMB. Voila...another passive system that's very effective. I also slapped some 3M reflective tape so when they come to pick you up, the reflective tape can be used to to avoid running you over during the rescue. Hehe...

Attachments

• RadarReflectors.JPG
    RadarReflectors.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 573
  • ReflectorsDeployed.JPG
    ReflectorsDeployed.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 633
  • Strobe_Reflectors_Deployed.JPG
    Strobe_Reflectors_Deployed.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 611
Actually, it could be attached to the top of a SMB, or how about making an SMB RADAR reflective? The reflector could be permanently placed (sewn in) inside the SMB at the top. When the SMB is inflated, the internal reflector stretches into position, providing 360 degree coverage. Anyone with the startup capital interested in building a prototype and testing it?

Great minds think alike. :wink:

Yes. You can get some mylar ballons from any party store. Carry a few them since they don't take up space. Tie them off to your SMB. A larger object is easier to locate.

BONUS
If you're executing a Trimix dive, carry a blowgun nozzle that connects to the LP BC hose. You can then create some very large, radar reflective, helium balloons that can be put up in the air for a even better signal to noise ratio. UFOs usually attract attention. :D

I don't dive trimix. but that might almost be worth it.

Can you imagine calling in for a lost diver that's probably flying a 6' mylar helium balloon. :cool:

Terry

Also, the CDs are being discounted. Don't throw them away just yet. They should not be used as visually reflective tools but RADAR REFLECTIVE tools. There was an article in the UK a while back that some folks discovered how well they reflect radar energy. So, I took four and fashioned them so they could be mounted on the top of the SMB. Voila...another passive system that's very effective. I also slapped some 3M reflective tape so when they come to pick you up, the reflective tape can be used to to avoid running you over during the rescue. Hehe...

What kind of 3M tape are you using and where did you get it?

I like the bike tube over the strobe lens. Great Idea

No sweat with the FTCS, although I wasn't one (FT is submariner, FC is surface, which I was). I still think a RADAR reflector would be a good option. If it gives a hit to search RADAR, and verification of source is called for via radio (ie - confirming it isn't a vessel - "vessel at LAT/LONG, confirm position", no response would be reason to further investigate RADAR hit by visual means). When diving, I carry almost everything else mentioned, but if a corner reflector was available on the market, I'd add that to my stash as well. It could be as easily deployed as a SMB. Actually, it could be attached to the top of a SMB, or how about making an SMB RADAR reflective? The reflector could be permanently placed (sewn in) inside the SMB at the top. When the SMB is inflated, the internal reflector stretches into position, providing 360 degree coverage. Anyone with the startup capital interested in building a prototype and testing it?

And also packetsniffer ...

How about just coating the inside surface of the SMB with mylar?
No corner reflector, no added bulk/weight/complexity, just a slight (?)
increase in the cost of the fabric it's made of. No change to outside
human-eye appearance.

I don't know enough about radar practicalities to know if that would materially
improve radar visibility and ultimately the chance of being found.
If someone knowledgeable does, however, I'd think all the current
manufacturers of SMBs/signal sausages would jump on this.
Talk about bang for the buck ...

And also packetsniffer ...

How about just coating the inside surface of the SMB with mylar?
No corner reflector, no added bulk/weight/complexity, just a slight (?)
increase in the cost of the fabric it's made of. No change to outside
human-eye appearance.

I don't know enough about radar practicalities to know if that would materially
improve radar visibility and ultimately the chance of being found.
If someone knowledgeable does, however, I'd think all the current
manufacturers of SMBs/signal sausages would jump on this.
Talk about bang for the buck ...

It's probably a good idea. But, I would test it for its effectiveness. The nice thing about using the CDs is that there is a nice broad section to reflect. With an SMB, it's very small. But, I'm sure it would work...to some degree.

To be honest, there is no added bulk for my setup. I roll up the CDs with the SMB. That OMS 10' SMB is so huge, you can hide a child in it. :D

Back
Top Bottom