Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography

Video Lights Work, But Strobes Are Best For Photos​

One of the most common questions at Backscatter is whether you can use video lights instead of strobes for underwater photography. The straightforward answer is that a strobe will always be better when shooting photos. However, in some circumstances, you can use a video light instead. This article will explore everything underwater photographers need to know about the differences between these two types of lighting and how they work for underwater photography.

Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Lineup of Strobes vs Video Lights
Backscatter customers frequently ask about using video lights instead of strobes for photography, so this guide was created to explain the differences.

Strobe-vs-Video-Lights-Video-Banner.jpg
WATCH VIDEO: In this video, Backscatter breaks down the pros and cons of video lights vs. strobes for underwater photography.

WHY YOU NEED LIGHTING​

Before getting into the limitations and best uses of video lights, it's fundamental to understand why underwater photography requires a light source in the first place.

Highlight the Foreground Subject​

The foreground subject is often the most critical part of the image, so getting plenty of light on it is vital to draw attention to it. Lighting the subject will also help separate it from the darker background, making it 'pop' more in the image.

©James Emery - Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Flamboyant Cuttlefish
Shooting with a strobe or video light is essential for highlighting subjects against a darker background and creating eye-catching, exciting images.
Mini Flash 2 Strobe | 1/250 | ISO 100 | ƒ16

©James Emery - Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Stingray & Pilot Fish
The foreground subject is often the most critical part of the shot, so call plenty of attention to it with bright, even lighting.
Sea & Sea YS-D3 Strobe | 1/250 | ISO 400 | ƒ11

Restore Lost Colors and Create Contrast​

Light is absorbed and scattered as one descends underwater, losing color and contrast in photos. Red and orange wavelengths are absorbed more quickly, making underwater scenes appear blue/cyan. Bringing a light source underwater will help restore the full spectrum of natural colors and enhance contrast.

©Jim Decker - Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Grouper Sunball
Restore lost reds, oranges, and yellows for much better color and contrast by adding light to underwater images.
Sea & Sea YS-250 Strobe | 1/250 | ISO 200 | ƒ16

Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography

Video Lights Work, But Strobes Are Best For Photos​

One of the most common questions at Backscatter is whether you can use video lights instead of strobes for underwater photography. The straightforward answer is that a strobe will always be better when shooting photos. However, in some circumstances, you can use a video light instead. This article will explore everything underwater photographers need to know about the differences between these two types of lighting and how they work for underwater photography.

Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Lineup of Strobes vs Video Lights
Backscatter customers frequently ask about using video lights instead of strobes for photography, so this guide was created to explain the differences.

View attachment 805246
WATCH VIDEO: In this video, Backscatter breaks down the pros and cons of video lights vs. strobes for underwater photography.

WHY YOU NEED LIGHTING​

Before getting into the limitations and best uses of video lights, it's fundamental to understand why underwater photography requires a light source in the first place.

Highlight the Foreground Subject​

The foreground subject is often the most critical part of the image, so getting plenty of light on it is vital to draw attention to it. Lighting the subject will also help separate it from the darker background, making it 'pop' more in the image.

©James Emery - Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Flamboyant Cuttlefish
Shooting with a strobe or video light is essential for highlighting subjects against a darker background and creating eye-catching, exciting images.
Mini Flash 2 Strobe | 1/250 | ISO 100 | ƒ16

©James Emery - Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Stingray & Pilot Fish
The foreground subject is often the most critical part of the shot, so call plenty of attention to it with bright, even lighting.
Sea & Sea YS-D3 Strobe | 1/250 | ISO 400 | ƒ11

Restore Lost Colors and Create Contrast​

Light is absorbed and scattered as one descends underwater, losing color and contrast in photos. Red and orange wavelengths are absorbed more quickly, making underwater scenes appear blue/cyan. Bringing a light source underwater will help restore the full spectrum of natural colors and enhance contrast.

©Jim Decker - Strobes vs. Video Lights for Underwater Photography - Grouper Sunball
Restore lost reds, oranges, and yellows for much better color and contrast by adding light to underwater images.
Sea & Sea YS-250 Strobe | 1/250 | ISO 200 | ƒ16

This is one of the best articles/videos made by Backscatter, if not the best!! VERY educational and it not only detailed the differences between Strobe and video light use differences, it also explained several of the camera/strobe settings and their respective effects on the photograph underwater in a very simple language. I learned so much reading the article and viewing the video.

Thank you @BackscatterUW for this great video/article. I hope that you publish more of this type of videos/articles more often.

I had gone to mostly using dual video lights (noname cheapos at ~$50 each) with a Sony A6000 and recently switched back to strobes. I am liking the color richness better with strobes and more shots sharp. But, with video lights, I was shooting burst mode, which sometimes yielded a sharp shot with a pose/composition I would have missed with a single strobe shot. Though also a ton more shots to go through and discard. That ability to use burst mode is not mentioned in that article and I think is a counterbalancing benefit to consider, even though I've gone back to strobes.

Just a related point... As a photographer, I hate shooting other photographers that have two 10,000 lumen video lights strapped to their rig. The light will "burn" holes in any image I make, unless I get them to agree to dive with them at a steep angle. If they do THAT, those lights can become great "off access" light sources, BUT your dive buddy has to give up their own shooting to become your model.

To the original question, I've been shooting with strobes since about 1980. My first one was a terrestrial potato masher in a custom housing that Ikelite made for me. It was attached to a Nikonos II. I've never used video lights. I'm sure part of my reasoning is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.". I can expose a frame about right pretty reliably. And I shoot manual exposure AND I have zero interest in shooting video. So for me, there's no point at all.

Friends who are upgrading basic systems have asked me more than once about the benefits of one or the other. Back in the day, that was easy since lights were not nearly bright enough. Now, I sometimes think that this would be a good way for a novice shooter to get better shots sooner. Covering a scene with light, and shooting full auto should give great results, and I especially think it would work for macro.

One of the frequently stated advantages of strobes is that they will "freeze" action and that means sharper images. With large video lights, one could presumably shoot at a higher shutter speed, so that would solve that problem.

I don't imagine I'll ever change... I've got Ikelite strobes, plus a spare set, and they're bombproof, so whichever one of my shi11y buddies steals my gear after I'm gone will still be shooting with them.

I’m limited to video lights as my little SeaLife Micro 3.0 has no provision for sync’ing a strobe. I guess if I do use a light I’ll just have to adjust for color balance.
🐸

Just a related point... As a photographer, I hate shooting other photographers that have two 10,000 lumen video lights strapped to their rig. The light will "burn" holes in any image I make, unless I get them to agree to dive with them at a steep angle. If they do THAT, those lights can become great "off access" light sources, BUT your dive buddy has to give up their own shooting to become your model.
Excellent point. Being a better dive buddy to fellow photographers is a clear advantage of strobes. I am now using the red LEDs on one of my video lights as a focus light and I am also scaring fewer critters before I shoot (or losing a shot) because of the glaring white video lights. (On the other hand, lighting things up for non-photographer buddies is an advantage of video lights...)

Back
Top Bottom