Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Haven't done any product research for the dye marker so I can't tell you which one is best. I have one from Survival Dye Marker but had to get a waterproof container to put it in. I would get the OMS one next time.

I got two of those OMS dye markers and I put them in a sealed bag (one of those food storage machines that heat seals it) and i'm glad I did because when I got back to the surface my wifes bag was all green inside and mine was fine. So somehow the seal on hers broke (the cap) because the bottle was still unscathed. If I hadn't sealed it like that I'm pretty sure there would have been green water all around us.

Anyone else have that kind of experience or am I just lucky? :D:D

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best signaling mirror available for divers? Best = reliable, simple and, durable. Cost will not be a consideration.

Is the channel 9/11 on the marine radio the same as the gmrs/fmrs radios?
I was thinking if the rescue knew you had a radio then they might monitor the channels?
Just keep a g/fmrs radio in an wp container...

Is the channel 9/11 on the marine radio the same as the gmrs/fmrs radios?
I was thinking if the rescue knew you had a radio then they might monitor the channels?
Just keep a g/fmrs radio in an wp container...

It probably would be better than nothing, but I think there would be some disadvantages to using a GMRS/FRS radio instead of a Marine VHF radio. The GMRS/FRS radios use UHF somewhere around the 462 MHz range and most channels have a very low power output (around 500mW for FRS channels and slightly more on GMRS depending on the channel and radio). The portable marine radios that I've looked at so far can output up to 5W. The increased power and the characteristics inherent to VHF would give you the notable advantage of increased distance on your transmissions. Storage would also be more difficult since FRS radios cannot have detachable antennas and very few GMRS radios do, whereas most of the VHF radios that I've seen so far all have detachable antennas.
Something else to consider is that many boats carry VHF radios and IIRC, the USCG requires/strongly encourages that everyone monitor channel 16. There most likely isn't very many people monitoring FRS channels on the water.

Family Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best signaling mirror available for divers? Best = reliable, simple and, durable. Cost will not be a consideration.

This one has a pretty good review on the signaling trials listed at the start of the thread.
Ultimate Survival Star Flash Signaling Mirror 2" X 3" from LeisurePro.com

They also make a 3 x 5 version that is a provides a little bigger target. You can google to find them. I found a guy on e-bay who had them for the same price as the small one from LP

This one has a pretty good review on the signaling trials listed at the start of the thread.
Ultimate Survival Star Flash Signaling Mirror 2" X 3" from LeisurePro.com

They also make a 3 x 5 version that is a provides a little bigger target. You can google to find them. I found a guy on e-bay who had them for the same price as the small one from LP

Thanks a lot UnderSeaBubbleBee I just ordered two on the web.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Tons of great info and products here.

Just starting through this thread maybe someone will mention this later but caution with the space blankets folks. Space blankets are not designed for water and the silver will come off fairly quickly! You would have to keep replacing it after every dive or put it in a waterproof bag. I would check the solar blanket for this before relying on it too much. They are cheap tho and not a bad idea if you know their limitations.
BTW did you know they will reflect heat away from you as well as towards you? If you use one for heat, if possibly put it inside clothing or even putting newspaper on the outside of it will help avoid this problem. (funny how the paramedic in me keeps coming out hmm lol)

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned here is some type of protective head gear. Being out in the sun can really take a toll on you. A small, rolled up canvas type hat can be kept in a pocket and can help keep you cool and help prevent terrible sunburn not only if you are lost but just waiting on the surface for pick up or a support diver waiting for the teams to come up...:D

_MG_3573copy.jpg

This is a must read before purchasing a PLB.

From this link... WSDOT - Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs)

Due to false alerts from ELT's the U.S. Coast Guard and Airforcehave mandatory wait and confirm policy.

"It is official U.S. Coast Guard and Air Force policy to wait to react to a 121.5 MHz emergency signal until there have been at least two to three polar satellite passes over a signal, which usually takes two or more hours, unless there has been a report of a missing aircraft, vessel or a person with a personal locator beacon, in which case search forces are alerted quicker to satellite alerts."

Phasing out of the 121.5mhz satellites...
"The FCC, at the request of the U.S. Coast Guard this year, is implementing regulations that will remove the certification for the manufacture and sale of 121.5 MHz EPIRBs in the United States by 2004, and by the end of 2006 forbid their use. "

Here are a few links to PLB manufacturers..
MOB - Sea Marshall Contact Info
McMurdo/Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus Personal Location Beacon (PLB) - Buy at Wholesale Prices from Online Marine
OFFROUTE.COM: SPOT - SPOT Messenger - Satellite Personal Tracker, Free Shipping*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom