Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't had any problems with the ON/OFF switch with the ACR combo, but I have figured out how to flood it. Of course, it wasn't new when I got it, so it might not be a fair assessment.

I too, am not a fan of twist ON/OFF, and avoid them whenever I can because of my tendency to flood them.

The Piranha Dive Gear Strobe most likely is an ACR strobe. The specs are identical on many websites.

I emailed the Piranha and they told me they had not had one sent back due to flooding.

...and they sell it in Ninja Black :cool2:

Looks like the same strobe.
The one that flooded on me had been sitting around a few years before I got it. maybe the o rings needed some lube? :idk:

Great thread, thanks! Prompted me to order two SMBs and will acquire signal mirrors (already have light.) Planning...'cause you never know.

I haven't had any problems with the ON/OFF switch with the ACR combo, but I have figured out how to flood it. Of course, it wasn't new when I got it, so it might not be a fair assessment.

I too, am not a fan of twist ON/OFF, and avoid them whenever I can because of my tendency to flood them.

This is my backup strobe, it never needs batteries and will not flood. Guaranteed to work wet:

410VY-GnUhL._AA300_.jpg

- A Flint and Magnesium for signaling at night (in the event you forgot your flashlight or its dead)

I thought that would be a good idea, and put one of those magnesium bars with the flint strip in the bag attached to my DAN sausage, but I learned a lesson: Keep that thing in a watertight container!

I didn't really think it would be affected, but after being in and out of saltwater so much, the flint seemed to have just dissolved away, and the magnesium bar was totally oxidized and leaving nasty flakes all over everything. 'Twas a mess to clean up, and would have been useless for its intended purpose had I needed it.

I got this email from DAN ... https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/lifeline/default.htm

Nautilus Lifeline .... 425ft depth rating, 24 hour rechargable battery, strobe, VHF, GPS, DSC compatible, 2 year warr.

$299 for pre-orders, available in late March

I agree this device appears to be a nice, all-in-one compact well-designed product, but I would be concerned about it's ability to transmit for some "real world" distance. Remember transmission distance will be effected by the wattage output of the device, the size/design of antenna and the fact that one would be transmitting from 18 inches off the deck, i.e. close to the surface of the water. The higher the antenna position, the farther one can transit. I haven't read the specs (point of fact, I cannot find any on the web site) but I would assume the output wattage to be five (5W) and the antenna - in this case as Amateur Radio Operators disparagingly referred to as a "rubber ducky" - only a few inches in length. If true, I would guess this device would be restricted to transmitting less than 3 miles line-of-sight, worse in poor oceanic conditions such as swells, etc.

As such I would still prefer an PLB as a primary signal, and consider this new radio device as a back-up.

Garv
:coffee:

Well, I'll be getting a mirror and strobe then...
I currently am diving in lake Ontario, so I am not super worried about being swept out however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom