Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have found that Marine Grade Reflective tape purchased at a Boat Shop works very well and is quite durable. I put strips of it on the bottom of our black rubber fins nearly two years ago. WE do a lot of shore dives where entering/exiting involves standing/climbing/walking across rocks and rubble and the tape has stood up very well. It is highly reflective so we can take off a fin and wave it at the boat or shine a torch (flashlight) on it to light it up.

We have not had to use them on the surface yet but have found them very helpful in locating buddies in poor viz. Most of our dive group have various patterns of the stuff on their fins now. Helps us to know who we are following and id each other at a distance. It also makes it easier to ID your fins in the pile on the boat. What I like about them is that they are always there as long as you are using your own fins. No thought no effort simple additional bit of signaling equipment.

From a seminar held by some coast guard folks yesterday on search and rescue for divers - beyond the standard stuff to carry on you during a dive (ie, SMB, lights, whistles and mirrors), they suggested also carrying the following:

- A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)
- A Flint and Magnesium for signaling at night (in the event you forgot your flashlight or its dead)
- A fresh glowstick (not yet activated)
- A Solar Blanket to float on the water for better visibility
- Signal Dye (but it looks like this is better: http://www.rescuestreamer.com/

From a seminar held by some coast guard folks yesterday on search and rescue for divers - beyond the standard stuff to carry on you during a dive (ie, SMB, lights, whistles and mirrors), they suggested also carrying the following:

- A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)
- A Flint and Magnesium for signaling at night (in the event you forgot your flashlight or its dead)
- A fresh glowstick (not yet activated)
- A Solar Blanket to float on the water for better visibility
- Signal Dye (but it looks like this is better: http://www.rescuestreamer.com/

I either have or its in the mail, everything on the list. I already have the dye and a rescue streamer is on the way. I have a Dive Rite thigh pocket that all this will be going into with the exception of the PLB which is strapped to my tank band and the SMB which goes into the back plate pocket on the Halcyon Infinity.

I was really surprised at the size of the PLB, it weights 14oz (396g) with float, lanyard and canister. The PLB by itself does not float, but that is why I also got the buoyancy pouch. The canister floats and comes with a nice webbing holder that can be attached to a 2" web.

plb1.jpg

plb2.jpg

plb3.jpg

Total price was about $350 for the PLB, Canister, Float pouch, and lanyard.

PLB: Mcmurdo Fast Find 210 from Star Marine Depot

Canister: Custom Divers
Email for US Distributor. US Distributor

Maybe Driftin' Dan will buy a whole bunch for the California Dive Boats.:D

I also have a PLB (the exact same one as yours actually - the McMurdo 210) coming in today or tomorrow. I'm thinking about getting the OMS canister instead of the custom made one

bca298.jpg

- can put more stuff into it (saw another board member stuff a plb, a vhf radio, and some other items in theirs), and its 45 bucks or so online :) The only problem I see is where to mount it (the oms tube doesn't have 2" slot).

I was also wondering if placing the tube on the cam strap is the best idea? In the event a diver came up in really rough water, not sure it would be the best idea to take ones bcd/bpw off and unfasten a tank if there is just one cam strap vs 2 in bad conditions. I was thinking perhaps a "butt pouch" may be needed - but I don't want to end up looking like a wares salesman underwater, that and not sure I'd like something randomly thumping my butt while diving :p

bca267.jpg

I either have or its in the mail, everything on the list. I already have the dye and a rescue streamer is on the way. I have a Dive Rite thigh pocket that all this will be going into with the exception of the PLB which is strapped to my tank band and the SMB which goes into the back plate pocket on the Halcyon Infinity.

I was really surprised at the size of the PLB, it weights 14oz (396g) with float, lanyard and canister. The PLB by itself does not float, but that is why I also got the buoyancy pouch. The canister floats and comes with a nice webbing holder that can be attached to a 2" web.

plb1.jpg

plb2.jpg

plb3.jpg

Total price was about $350 for the PLB, Canister, Float pouch, and lanyard.

PLB: Mcmurdo Fast Find 210 from Star Marine Depot

Canister: Custom Divers
Email for US Distributor. US Distributor

Ok thanks. It would be cool if there was some sort of radar reflective material that you could attack to a backplate.

DB do you know if the Surface Survival Primer that you posted a link to is available somewhere else? The link no longer works, but that was some really great info.

I found one of these hats for a quarter at a thrift store. 18" Foldable SUN Hat, Yellow I think I am going to try it out. The sun bothers me when we are floating on the surface. I figured it was worth 25 cents to see how it worked and it easily stows in my thigh pocket.
it used to be cached , but that no longer works ether :(

One of the things he rigged up was what he called his Pelu Pack
It had sunscreen and water along with other items in a small pack (weight pouch?) that attached to the cam band
.. having some water is an often overlooked item , and sunscreen a little less overlooked

Time to repost this ...
D_B:
Here you go .. what equipment you need, what works best, and why you need it ...

EVERYONE ... you need to save this, a very good, if long, read on rescue trials in real world conditions, conducted in the Scapa Flow ... How far can you see me? ... http://www.jeanelaine.co.uk/diveraids/intro.htm

And this .. Equipped to Survive ... http://www.equipped.com/signal.htm

... and the rest of the website is a treasure trove of info ... http://www.equipped.com/toc.htm

Last edited:
I also have a PLB (the exact same one as yours actually - the McMurdo 210) coming in today or tomorrow. I'm thinking about getting the OMS canister instead of the custom made one

bca298.jpg

- can put more stuff into it (saw another board member stuff a plb, a vhf radio, and some other items in theirs), and its 45 bucks or so online :) The only problem I see is where to mount it (the oms tube doesn't have 2" slot).

I was also wondering if placing the tube on the cam strap is the best idea? In the event a diver came up in really rough water, not sure it would be the best idea to take ones bcd/bpw off and unfasten a tank if there is just one cam strap vs 2 in bad conditions. I was thinking perhaps a "butt pouch" may be needed - but I don't want to end up looking like a wares salesman underwater, that and not sure I'd like something randomly thumping my butt while diving :p

bca267.jpg

I was looking at an OMS canister too, but the one I wanted was no longer made. I was going to get an ACL PLB which needs a larger diameter. The Custom Divers is small and has its own mount. I can reach it and remove it easily as it has a velcro enclosure.

I am currently going to use a Dive Rite pocket for the additional items. Suncreen and water would certainly be good ideas, and a water proof tube might just be the ticket for that. That is something that could go into that tube that you might not need immediately.

If the PLB works, you shouldn't be in the water all that long. If not, the backup tube would be a great idea.

Next, and underwater u-haul trailer with extra air, compressor, generator, foldaway rescue helo - and extra gas for it, plus its mechanic.:D

good information for sure,,,and a good reminder to re check all my night goodies,,,

i carry most of the list and have never used them,,but there is always a first time,,

and so many US Navy divers,,,i was a PHC AC-DV for 20 years,,,

the wetter the better!:usa:

I know of an excellent deal on an older PLB with interface (can connect to a GPS unit) and onboard GPS. New. Manufactured this year, but older model. PM me if you are seriously interested.
I should add that this is not a resale from a private seller, but the company itself selling the product.

Last edited:

bca267.jpg

I use a similar (much smaller) sleeve to carry my SMB (it's a nifty DAN SMB, which comes with a mirror, whistle and glow-stick - very nice deal, I think), and I can assure you that it takes up negligible real-estate. It all but disappears when underwater, but it's incredibly easy to access. Try it - you will be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom