Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a PLB (the exact same one as yours actually - the McMurdo 210) coming in today or tomorrow. I'm thinking about getting the OMS canister instead of the custom made one

bca298.jpg

- can put more stuff into it (saw another board member stuff a plb, a vhf radio, and some other items in theirs), and its 45 bucks or so online :) The only problem I see is where to mount it (the oms tube doesn't have 2" slot). ]

Check out this link for mount ideas. Scroll down and look at the canister for the can light. They use large hose claps, taco clips 1 inch d ring and quick links

Underwater Dive Lights http://www.OMSdive.com

There is a thread in the DIY section about making your own canister out of pvc pipe that looks interesting.

didnt read the whole thread and dont know if anyone mentioned it but i found a neew product that is GPS and vhf radio that cost about 300 bucks in fact it was on an advertisment on this website...... just thought it was relevant to the conversation......

one other thing i noticed is someone said something about using a vhf radio and asking boaters if they have a vhf lkocator.....one thing to remember is probably not necessary just tell whever answers the radio to tell the coast guard THEIR location this will narrow the search area to a radius around that boat dependant on their antenae length

:)

didnt read the whole thread and dont know if anyone mentioned it but i found a neew product that is GPS and vhf radio that cost about 300 bucks in fact it was on an advertisment on this website...... just thought it was relevant to the conversation......

one other thing i noticed is someone said something about using a vhf radio and asking boaters if they have a vhf lkocator.....one thing to remember is probably not necessary just tell whever answers the radio to tell the coast guard THEIR location this will narrow the search area to a radius around that boat dependant on their antenae length

:)

Do you have a link to the GPS/Radio or is it this: Lifeline

Does anyone have a link to a high quality emergency strobe?

Also, would anyone disagree that the best place for a strobe is on the diver?

I purchased a tektite strobe after being disappointed in the brightness of one of those compact D cell ones ... Tektite strobe lights

I got the 200 from here ... Tektite Strobe 200 Scuba Dive Light Flashlight - Lights : House of Scuba ... it's VERY bright , much brighter than the little D cell one

TDL has the next step up in strobe , the aluminum bodied ones ... Strobe Lights : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.

Yep,on the diver, or with the diver ... but not turned on

I purchased a tektite strobe after being disappointed in the brightness of one of those compact D cell ones ...
I got the 200 from here ... Tektite Strobe 200 Scuba Dive Light Flashlight - Lights : House of Scuba ... it's VERY bright , much brighter than the little D cell one

I keep reading [mostly] bad reviews of Tektite strobes. Leisure Pro's reviews are almost all similar in that "they would be great if they didn't all flood".
I have a hard time believing this is all operator error...

How many dives (and depth) has your 200 been on?

Hmmmm ... Only a couple dives I have to admit ... it is one of those turn lens to turn on, I wonder if that's a source of issues? not likely they were turning it on under water though

This is the one I purchased, but I have not been diving with it. Specs are only 10hrs of battery life with two AA's. It's turned on by a magnetic switch so no O-Ring displacement while turning off or on. It doubles as an emergency light also.

I think the switch is kind of too easy to turn on and I wish the battery life were longer. This company makes a variety of strobes, EPIRB's and PLB's. I wish some of the nicer strobes were waterproof beyond 33ft.

I didn't buy the Teklite because of the reviews, but I would prefer its design minus the O-Ring/Switch/twist on-off system.

I've carried backup lights for years with the twist on-off system and I have flooded a couple too. Not a good thing to reach for your emergency device and find it flooded.

Hmmmm ... Only a couple dives I have to admit ... it is one of those turn lens to turn on, I wonder if that's a source of issues? not likely they were turning it on under water though

I ended up ordering the Strobe that Piranha Dive Mfg. sells. For the price, as long as it doesn't flood, seems like a good value.

This is the one I purchased, but I have not been diving with it. Specs are only 10hrs of battery life with two AA's. It's turned on by a magnetic switch so no O-Ring displacement while turning off or on. It doubles as an emergency light also.

I think the switch is kind of too easy to turn on and I wish the battery life were longer. This company makes a variety of strobes, EPIRB's and PLB's. I wish some of the nicer strobes were waterproof beyond 33ft.

I didn't buy the Teklite because of the reviews, but I would prefer its design minus the O-Ring/Switch/twist on-off system.

I've carried backup lights for years with the twist on-off system and I have flooded a couple too. Not a good thing to reach for your emergency device and find it flooded.

I haven't had any problems with the ON/OFF switch with the ACR combo, but I have figured out how to flood it. Of course, it wasn't new when I got it, so it might not be a fair assessment.

I too, am not a fan of twist ON/OFF, and avoid them whenever I can because of my tendency to flood them.

Back
Top Bottom