Best Scuba Shop On Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, if anybody cares, I would recommend Mikey's scuba repair. Take it to his house, save some money. he is listed in the phone book. The guy knows gear! His workbench looks like an operating room, instruments all organized, etc. Certifications all over the walls. Talking to him, you can tell he LIKES working on gear and takes pride in it.
Also, he is the one who convinced me SP regulators the best choice if you travel because the kits for repair are found everywhere in the world where they have a dive flag up, according to him. He claims they are less money to service.
If a shop doesn't carry Scubapro, thats a huge downside for me personally.
Other brands I like include Henderson, Stahlsac, none of which I see anyone carrying here.
If you are having gear serviced, I think you should size up the area where the work will be done, it says a lot.

catherine96821:
post #16...deafening silence.

:D

catherine96821:
Hey, if anybody cares, I would recommend Mikey's scuba repair. Take it to his house, save some money. he is listed in the phone book.

He's out in Hawaii Kai, right? What is he listed under in the phone book (I hope it's not "Mikey's Scuba Repair").

I was just given an extra set of gear from my BIL - his friend owns a marine salvage company. It's a ScubaPro BC and reg and it looks like it got a lot of use. I want to take it to someone to check it out and overhaul it if it's worth the money to do so.

Campbell industrial park though, I don't go that side cuz of traffic. yes, Cheryl, it is Mikey's scuba repair!

justleesa:
I hear this guy is good too...http://www.dakinescuba.com/

anybody hear of him?

Okay here it goes..... I took my reg to OC and they send it off to DaKine (Eddie). Got my reg back 1 week before going to Cozumel. Well, the purge valve (or cover, whatever it is called that you push the clear the reg) was placed on crooked, not just a little either, so I kept getting a small amount of air being pushed through. I like to have to suck like a hoover to get the air out of my reg (EVERY MAN NEEDS TO GET HIS HEAD OUT OF THE GUTTER NOW!!) not have it pushed. Well, I showed it to OC when we picked them up and they said they could send it back to DaKine, but it would take 2-3 weeks to get back. Seeing as how I take my own gear on vacation that was not an option for me. When we got back from Coz. I took my gear to Sea'nSee and Lexie (who was just hired and doesn't know her a@@ from a hole in the ground) told me it would take a week. I told her I wanted my stuff by the end of August (about the 30th), in which I turned it in August 12th. It is now the end of August and I am continuously calling and Lexie keeps telling me she can't get a hold of Mikey. The whole week goes by with me calling everyday (at least 2X a day because Lexie won't call back after she says she will- plus Frumpy is TDY out of country and calling Lexie also- he gets a completely different story from what she is telling me). Well, it is now Sept 3rd and the big Scubaboard get together is the next day. I look in the white pages and find Mikey's number. I call his emergency cell phone number to find out what is happening to my reg. He told Lexie the reg was ready for pick up on that Monday (in which she kept saying she couldn't get in touch with him). I went straight to Mikey's house and he told me he talked to her everyday and twice that morning. I paid Mikey directly and cut out the middle man. Well, needless to say I had to pay full price (which is still cheaper than going through a dive shop) because Lexie didn't put on the tag that I only wanted the purge valve/cover put on correctly so he did a full servicing. Come to find out, DaKine didn't give me the pink and green copy for regulator servicing so I had no proof that I just had it serviced (even though I had my receipt from OC- which screwed me big time- that is another story which I am totally unhappy about). So, I say "go directly to Mikey himself and he can get your reg done same day {for a little more} or within 2 days. He is really nice and friendly.

Now let me complain about OC. When we went to drop our reg's off for the annual servicing I didn't have my card because ScubaPro never sent it. OC told me to bring in my receipt of when I bought the reg and they could use that. We called SP and requested another card since I never received the first one. They said they would ship one out the next day. Okay. OC calls and the regs are ready for pick-up. Get there and my bill is $99.00. HELLO??? It is under warranty. Yes, this is when we are getting ready for our vacation so I need the reg. Come to find out DaKine won't do the work unless they have the card. Instead of calling me and telling me they need the card or have to charge full price they decide amongst themselves that DaKine can go ahead and do the work. My card came in while the reg was in the shop and we brought it at the time of pick up. They said since I didn't have it when I turned it in and DaKine wouldn't accept a copy of the receipt they have to charge the full amount. I asked why they didn't call and ask me if it was okay and they had no answer for me. I let them know that I will never use their services and will never recommend them to anyone. I got crappy work done on my reg and even worse customer service. Okay, enough complaining about the horrible service from OC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom