Best Scuba Shop On Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierbri10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the best shop to just browse. Not neccesarily do they have the best prices, service or support, but they have a lot of product to just look at. Since the weather is so nice around here right now it would be nice to just go browse. I have been to these shops so far and they are listed in order of best to worst for just browsing:

1. Sports Authority
  2. Island Divers Hawaii, on Hickam
  3. NEX
  4. Aloha Dive Shop

Thanks

I bought my mask from Sports Authority. They are the only one's that had the same one I lost. I live on Hickam, but don't really use IDH anymore. NEX doesn't have much (or anything that really interests me). NEX is Ocean Concepts - they got a contract to work in there. The bigger store is down by the Arizona Memorial. There is Kai Ohana (where I did my OW, before IDH opened), Aarons (big store) in Kailua. Sea 'n See is downtown, but I don't know who the new owner is or what they have now. Catherine and JustLeesa would know some good shops.

ch0ppersrule:
I bought my mask from Sports Authority. They are the only one's that had the same one I lost. I live on Hickam, but don't really use IDH anymore. NEX doesn't have much (or anything that really interests me). NEX is Ocean Concepts - they got a contract to work in there. The bigger store is down by the Arizona Memorial. There is Kai Ohana (where I did my OW, before IDH opened), Aarons (big store) in Kailua. Sea 'n See is downtown, but I don't know who the new owner is or what they have now. Catherine and JustLeesa would know some good shops.
Thats a start...

IDH is going to have a lot of neat gear & stuff to look at this month: Fundamentals & Tech Courses the next two weeks, and a DPV Class scheduled for March 23-25. . .

skierbri10:
Cool I am starting my OW on March 20.
Fantastic! Along with Jo Hjelm of IDH assisting, there should be two Instructors scheduled to come over from the Mainland: Joe Talavera and Andrew Georgitsis. Introduce yourself, ask them any and all kinds of questions about diving in general, and get to know some of their students coming for the Classes (especially if any of the SB Hawaiian Divers show up like Onfloat or Kidspot). . . Let us know how it goes!

Kevrumbo:
Fantastic! Along with Jo Hjelm of IDH assisting, there should be two Instructors scheduled to come over from the Mainland: Joe Talavera and Andrew Georgitsis. Introduce yourself, ask them any and all kinds of questions about diving in general, and get to know some of their students coming for the Classes (especially if any of the SB Hawaiian Divers show up like Onfloat or Kidspot). . . Let us know how it goes!
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for me. :D

Tim (kidspot) is on a different Island :D

skierbri10:
What is the best shop to just browse. Not neccesarily do they have the best prices, service or support, but they have a lot of product to just look at. Since the weather is so nice around here right now it would be nice to just go browse. I have been to these shops so far and they are listed in order of best to worst for just browsing:

1. Sports Authority
  2. Island Divers Hawaii, on Hickam
  3. NEX
  4. Aloha Dive Shop

Thanks
Sports Authority, NEX, OC... I'd rather be a gerbil in the Castro District Vaseline Day Parade, than have to deal with them... Horrible service, high prices. If you are military, then go with IDH, Matt, Jo and the other Instructors there are pretty good people.

After you are certified (and I'm assuming you are military) I recommend joining Sea Lancers. Diving is expensive enough, and you won't get better unless you are diving... and at a minimum gear rental may be included in your membership, air fills are free and boat dives are $5 each on club dives and air fills. Take a look at www.sealancers.org.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom