Best regulator for photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene:
It means that in the original Mistral design there is no first and second stage - the reg brings gas pressure down directly from tank pressure to ambient (breathing). Hence a rather rough feel and stronger resistance than modern designs. I haven't tried one myself, so the latter is only hearsay.
The new Mistral is clearly not a single stage regulator.

jonnythan:

No, it sure isn't...Didn't I read that it's a derivative of the Legend LX or something? But yeah, from what I read the old single-stage regs represented the original Cousteau-Gagnan Aqua-Lung design, and later was associated with budget-type twin hose regs, like the original USD Mistral, the Healthways "Scuba", and certain others.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any kind of accessory that will route an ordinary reg's exhaust tee around back in the manner of a real double-hose reg? I think this kind of solution would be a big boon to photographers. I mean, short of actually buying a vintage double-hoser or a modern Mistral... I reckon an attachment like this would have to be specific to your particular model of reg, although side-exhaust ones like the Dacor Viper would likely be easiest to adapt.

cheers

Billy S.

jonnythan:
You are right, sorry. I was too lazy to click on the link in the original post. So it isn't a Mistral at all, just a modern look-alike (kind of like a New Beetle...)

Hello! I'm looking for a good regulator for photography so I'm reviving this thread. I've narrowed down my choices to Apeks XTX50 and Aqualung Kronos. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I LOVE my Kronos. I got it specifically for the side vent and have not been disappointed. I like the way it breathes and would definitely recommend it!

Double Hose
Side Breather
Other Regs

A double hose regulator has the added advantage of not scaring marine life as much since the bubbles and noise are coming from behind the head. If I stay still I have had fish come up to my mask and look in.

I heard a photographer call a double hose the poor mans re-breather. It is not bubble free and quiet like a re-breather, but it is the next best thing.

It means that in the original Mistral design there is no first and second stage - the reg brings gas pressure down directly from tank pressure to ambient (breathing). Hence a rather rough feel and stronger resistance than modern designs. I haven't tried one myself, so the latter is only hearsay.

You mean like this one, a 1958 Pico USD Mistral single stage that was given to me in 1968 and and has about a bazillion dives on it. Yes it is single stage, it works fine with LP tanks. It does not like 3000 psi tanks because it is a single stage and the spring balance and volcano orifice are not intended for such a large pressure range.

DSCF0221.jpg

These are very smooth below about 2000 psi but the powerful venturi does make some noise unlike the very quiet DA and Royal Aqua Masters. When using a Royal Aqua Master it is funny to watch fish suddenly become startled when they realize a diver is so close to them, more accustomed to the noisy bubble machine single hosers.

N

I agree a double hose is the way to go. My preferred photography reg is a DA Aquamaster with Luis's Phoenix nozzle installed to create a 1958/2007 Phoenix Royal Aquamaster.

I went a little overboard with mine and had it all rechromed, added a set of custom labels, new hoses, a new silicone diaphragm and a new mouthpiece - but even then the cost was not out of line with a new higher end regulator.

The cool thing is that fish will hide use your head to hide from the bubbles - which puts them right in front of your mask. The other thing is that the long exhaust hose, butterfly exhaust valve and the holes in the can, diffuse the air pretty well and prevent the violent blast you get from a single hose reg, so the fish are not as easily spooked by a double hose reg.

I'd seriously consider one if you are into fish photography and in particular macro photography of smaller fish. The new Aqualung mistral is a bit of a disappointment and the old Mistral, the Royal Aquamaster or the old/new Phoenix Royal Aquamaster all breathe much better.

Back
Top Bottom