Best regulator for photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Sky Dave

Registered
Reaction score
I'd appreciate experience/recommendations on the best regulator for a photographer.
I'm thinking of a Sherwood Oasis because of the side venting bubbles. Is this a good choice? Are there more important considerations? Are there betters? Thanks

I use Oceanic's Omega and love it. Side vent works well for me and I can breathe easily in any position. It can be a bit of a wet reg and some people hate that. I've been using these regs since the mid 90s and nothing I've tried to change to comes close to being as comfortable for me.

I've got the Sherwood Maximus because of the wide T. It works great for me. I like the under arm routing to keep all the danglies down. I think the Oasis still comes with a wide T kit so you can swap out the one it has attached.

The new (old) aqualung mistral might do the trick b/c it is a double hose regulator and the bubbles leave behind your head. However, it's just been released in its lastest form and I'm much to young to speak for the old versions. www.aqualung.com/products/mistral.html

Chaps:
The new (old) aqualung mistral might do the trick b/c it is a double hose regulator and the bubbles leave behind your head. However, it's just been released in its lastest form and I'm much to young to speak for the old versions. www.aqualung.com/products/mistral.html
The new Mistral is unfortunately overpriced, presumably because it is being sold as a nostalgia item. It is a single stage design, hence doesn't breathe as smoothly as a modern two stage reg. It is also a little odd in that it breathes better when you are swimming on your back (pressure differential between reg and mouthpiece). Several of my buddies from the club still dive original Mistrals.

But yes, it would be ideal for photography (unless you go the rebreather route of course).

I have hung on to my old Sherwood Oasis and USD Sea 4 for serious photography. The wide exhaust T's give better bubble control than most of the latest and greatest.

vjongene:
It is a single stage design, hence doesn't breathe as smoothly as a modern two stage reg.
What does single stage mean?

jonnythan:
What does single stage mean?
It means that in the original Mistral design there is no first and second stage - the reg brings gas pressure down directly from tank pressure to ambient (breathing). Hence a rather rough feel and stronger resistance than modern designs. I haven't tried one myself, so the latter is only hearsay.

Back
Top Bottom