best regulator for photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluce

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a favorite regulator for underwater photography or does it really make very much difference? Some high-end regulators get dinged in reviews for bubble interference problems. Are side breathers like Poseidon or Dacor better for photography than high end regs like Scubapro?..........thanks...Bob:confused:

Hello,

Well simply put no regulator is good for photography :wink: One good choice is a rebreather, no bubbles.

As a photographer I have learned that it's best to time your shots between breaths, i.e. take the shot while your breathing in or right after you finish exhaling.

Another good method is to work on your breathing habits, refine those untill it goes like clockwork then you consume less gas and your lungs are more efficent.

Keep in mind, breathing is not just involuntary, it's an artform.

Ed

blacknet,

I don't mean to doubt you (rebreathers aside) but have you personally compared any side breathers with regular regs to see if they make the difference some reviewers claim they do? Even 'regular' regs differ among themselves, for example, Rodale's reviews would suggest Apeks has less bubble interference than high end Scubapros, I suppose because the size of the exhaust ports. But maybe in reality the difference is so slight that it really doesn't matter. Thanks.......Bob:snorkel:

Hello,

I have used some unit that put bubbles in your face, you simply don't want to use units like that in ANY situation. The side exhaust can potentialy interfere with the camera housing when it's close to your face. The more back the exhaust is the easier it is to work with.

In either case as long as the bubbles are not directly on the camera unit it's workable.

Ed

Bubble interference is an iffy thing. First, interference with what? If your mask is glued to the viewfinder, bubbles will not interfere with your view. Second, I never shoot while breathing anyway. It's like shooting a gun. I pause in the middle of my exhale when I'm neutral, wait for bubbles to clear and fire.

Side exhausts are great for bubble flow, but they often breathe wet at awkward angles. I'm in awkward angles often. I just don't care for them. I just hate the Viper. It's crap.

Despite all the notations about bubble interference, bubbles usually trail out and behind you as you move horizontally in the water. Bubble interference is overrated unless you spend a lot a time vertical.

The Micra adjustable is without a doubt the worst. It's hard to service and tune. It has no exhaust tee whatsoever. If you sit there in a pool he can't see a thing while your mask is being pelted with bubbles, but still once you start moving the bubbles are no longer in your way.

I have noticed a lot of professinal divers use the Cyklon 5000 or the Oceanic Omega-both side breathers.

But, if you have a reg. with a adequate exhaust T(ScubaPro has small Ts and Oceanic and Atomic(I think it's Atomic) have very small Ts) like an APEKS then it's no problem. I like my Odin for photography since it's a side breather but I do hold my breath when I shoot, so really I don't think side exhaust is a big deal.

There are so many other factors that will ruin your U/W photo e.g. backscatter, subject moving(I have a lot of shots of fish tails), not getting bit by a close Moray, bad O rings, wrong apeture setting, wrong lens, wrong flash intensity......oh the list goes on and on. I have found U/W photography much more challenging than I had ever imagined.

Getting bubbles in your photo is the least of your worries!

If you want to do U/W photography then your troubles are just begining. It's quite the challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom