Best reg for $400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just something that breathes great & dry, comfortable, and doesnt feel like it will fall out of my mouth if I dont clinch my teeth (the reg I was using for certification felt like it'd fall out of my mouth if I didn't bite down hard, and I often had to 'adjust' its position by hand...maybe it was the hose, maybe the reg weighed a lot i dunno really)...

So if I have $400 or so to blow on a reg setup..what is the best reg? I live in south florida and will be diving in the ocean, so no need for high performance cold water regs,etc.

What does your LDS sell?

I think it makes sense to limit your choice to regs that you can get serviced locally........makes life much easier...............

Most any regulator from a solid reputable manufacturer will be fine for recreational warm water diving.......

At the end of the day it will come down to the features you prefer......

Mouth piece
Hose routing
Size/weight of second stage
Looks
Will you be using an integrated inflator/octo?

Also, if you can find a deal, close out or sale........

Hope this helps...............M

I think that for the money the Aqua Lung Titan LX is a great reg. My girlfriend bought one last year and has loved it ever since. Worth checking it out.

Here's 3 of the best breathing and reliable regulators made.....they are all (much) less than $400.
Apeks TXT 20
Zeagle Envoy
Aqualung LX

.....as for the "falling out of my mouth" part you should try out some different types of mouthpieces and get one that fits your dental profile.

I was looking at scubapro MK17/G250v (or S600?) setups. I know they are not quite in the $400 price range I mentioned, but everyone seems to love these regs.
How do these scubapros compare to the aqualung legend, titan, and the other regs you all mentioned?

Just something that breathes great & dry, comfortable, and doesnt feel like it will fall out of my mouth if I dont clinch my teeth (the reg I was using for certification felt like it'd fall out of my mouth if I didn't bite down hard, and I often had to 'adjust' its position by hand...maybe it was the hose, maybe the reg weighed a lot i dunno really)...

So if I have $400 or so to blow on a reg setup..what is the best reg? I live in south florida and will be diving in the ocean, so no need for high performance cold water regs,etc.

The mouthpiece followed closely by proper hose routing has the most effect on comfort.

In the $400 price range you have a LOT of good choices, because at that price you have moved into the mid-range for most brands.

First decide if you want to buy from your LDS, or if you are willing to buy online. If you decide online, there are LOTS of choices, and the cost savings from buying online can allow you to "upgrade" to the next level of regulator in a particular brand. This is especially true if you are talking about Scubapro or Aqualung.

LDS vs. online purchase is a whole topic in itself (an often gets heated :D ). There are tradeoffs with either choice.

As already mentioned, look for close-outs on 2008 models. The Zeagle Flathead VI is now on sale, I think for around $360.00 at Zeagle Express and other places?? It is a terrific regulator. It was replaced by the Zeagle Flathead 7 this year.

Good luck!

Well I am definitely leaning towards buying from LeisurePro, and really I can probably spend up to about $550 if needed on a good reg setup.

I'm looking at the AL Legend series, scubapro mk17/g250, or maybe atomic z1.. honestly, i havent really considered anything outside of these 3 brands, because they seem to be among the best..

For Florida? Zeagle Envoy.

If you really want to buy your reg online and are leaning towards LP, service may be an issue for any of the 3 brands you're thinking of. At least give Zeagle a look - service is much, much easier and the performance is every bit as good.

Made in Florida too =p

-B

Back
Top Bottom