Best Reg for $200-$350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman:
One of my friends told me to seriously consider the Oceanic Delta DX4 since it has 2 HP Ports and the Aqualung doesn't. This is soooo confusing. What do you guys think? They are virtually the same price. I am new to diving and want decent equipment, I just don't want to screw myself.

Just to give you another source of info. In Rodale ScubaDiving mag a month or two ago they had the Best Reg comparison thingy. See if you can find it. If I remember correct the Delta got the top spot. Take a look they had diver reviews on each Reg.

I would think hard about the Delta 4. It has Dry Reg Technology so you are unlikely to ever get water into your first stage! Awesome technology and will save you $$$$ because you won't have to have your 1st stage rebuilt! JMHO

PF

FWIW I'm a fan of the Mares Abyss and the Axis myself. The new version of the Abyss is a bit pricey (don't know why). I've got 300+ dives on my 2000 version. No problems or failures, breaths great, and easy to service. Does not free flow like the Scubapro or the Apex.

V.

Are you guys just trying to make this a hard decision? Oceanic v Aqualung it's a tough choice. Then throw in Mares & Apeks it gets more complicated. Bottom line, I want a reg that is extremely durable, reliable and breathes great even at good depths. I plan on taking 3-4 trips a year in warm tropical water. So the reg won't be in use everyday, but I don't want a piece of crap. NIC160, I will look at Rodale's Reg list, that's a good idea.

Robb
just remember, everyone is going to recommend the reg they use. that doesn't mean that the reg is any better for your type of diving. Both the oceanic and aqualung will work great for what you want. Why not ask your LDS to try both them out in the pool, and see which one you like better?
i don't think you can go wrong with either..

ps i'm neutral on both, i dive apeks..

robbcayman:
Are you guys just trying to make this a hard decision? Oceanic v Aqualung it's a tough choice. Then throw in Mares & Apeks it gets more complicated. Bottom line, I want a reg that is extremely durable, reliable and breathes great even at good depths. I plan on taking 3-4 trips a year in warm tropical water. So the reg won't be in use everyday, but I don't want a piece of crap. NIC160, I will look at Rodale's Reg list, that's a good idea.

The thing that makes this so tough is pretty much every reg that you will find in any dive shop will be safe, particularly if you stick with the major manufacturers. Apeks, ScubaPro, Aqualung, Zeagle, DiveRite, Mares, Oceanic, Aeris, and others all make safe regulators. You will most likely not be working any of these regualtors beyond ther limits. Pick one in the middle range from any of the major players and you should be happy. Consider things like... price of purchase, price of maintenance (this is a big one, think hard about this hidden cost), how fragile is this thing (will it get broken in your dive bag, before you even get to the water), ease of service, comfort, hose routing, adjustment knobs, color. There is a lot to consider, and chances are good that whatever you choose, no matter how careful you are now, you will want to replace it in the next several years for some reason you did not even know existed.

Buy the thing and go out an dive, have fun, and don't sweat this purchase too much.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

robbcayman:
Tell me which reg you would pick for the price range from $200-$350 and why?

I purchased my 50D/ZX off a guy on ebay (dealer) new for $220+10 ship. He had a buy it now on it for $300, but his starting bid was what I paid. No warranty, but I really don't care. Service is going to cost me regardless of the warranty.

I liked the reg becuase:

1) good breather
2) environmentally sealed
3) great build quality
4) Great reviews
5) Zeagle, made in the USA
6) adjustable flow control on second
7) Make me look really pretty... well.. urr, ok more like a dork, but hey that's the nature of regs :eyebrow:

In any event, I love the reg, and if you want to purchase a great reg with no environmental seal for under $250 from an authorized dealer the Envoy Deluxe get's top reviews.

robbcayman:
Thanks Mark, I am going the Titan Aqualung route.
What is the so called "New Style Titan" leisurepro.com has on its site? as I am also considering this set up.

You made a great choice. Go for the Aqualung Titan LX. I have one and it's never given me any problems. It can be serviced anywhere in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom