Best reel for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---> Just too big and heavy for midwater deployment, overkill.

I do most of my diving in heavy coldwater gloves and the boat is always tied into a wreck.

Post #2 is my favorite exploration reel that can also be used as an upline (or for sending a heavy bag of mussels skyward). No such thing as double-duty for a reel, so I almost always carry two. I'm thinking about the LM pre-rigged with a bag and stowed in a pocket in case I'm ever forced to do a drift ascent...

The Hollis reel is built poorly and will warp with temperature changes. Depending on the weather it will not roll up or out very easily. I found this out the hard way as most of the customers who bought them returned them.

Could you elaborate a little bit on the Hollis reel? What part warps? I've had one for about a year and haven't had this issue yet. You're saying the spool part itself warps? I know the handle is made of aluminum.

A little followup. I did order the LM 200 with the high-viz line and the Manta Nano+. The LM is extremely well made but a little larger and heavier than I expected. The lockdown screw is not secure and was lost fairly quickly. I found a nylon screw that fit and works perfectly but I have an email into LM to see if a can get a replacement. The first try at deployment did not go well but after I thought it out I changed the way I hold it for deployment and now it works perfectly. Its probably overkill for my needs but I love it.

I have to be honest, the Manta Nano+ was a disappointment. It was smaller and lighter but not as well made and the line included was very poor quality. I returned without using it. In all fairness, it was cheaper.

I would probably have tried the Halcyon Defender that Tortuga68 posted a link to but they did not have a second available when I was ready to order.

I still prefer a finger spool if deploying a smaller SMB at the safety stop.

Thanks again to all for their suggestions.

Lisa

Wait a sec.... after 43 posts, you're staying with a finger reel?

I'm sorry, but ma'am but all the bandwidth that you consumed, or caused to be consumed, REQUIRES you to use a reel now, even if you just use it to go to the bathroom in your house.

I'm sorry, but ma'am but all the bandwidth that you consumed, or caused to be consumed, REQUIRES you to use a reel now, even if you just use it to go to the bathroom in your house.

No, no, no. LM if deploying DSMB at depth. Finger spool if small safety sausage at safety stop. I use both! Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

:rofl3:

No, no, no. LM if deploying DSMB at depth. Finger spool if small safety sausage at safety stop. I use both! Sorry for the confusion.

Still not there. You need a primary reel. You know, for primary stuff. Like finding your way back home...

:rofl3:

Still not there. You need a primary reel. You know, for primary stuff. Like finding your way back home...

No sir. I am NOT carrying a third reel. 2 SMB's, 2 reels, pony bottle, lobster loop and bag, bells and whistles (will maybe no bells). I already look like a christmas tree!

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

She isn't captain Kirk, she just has to find the boat...

I drift dive. The boat finds me...I hope!

Back
Top Bottom