Best reel for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback. I can't see teh design being a great boon to me (warm water, bare hands) but I like to try new stuff and the price is the same as the Defender cold water spools that I mostly use (or did, before Piranha brought out their 'big hole' (coldwater/glove) spools... Even though I don't wear gloves, I find the 'standard' spool hole size a little small (prone to grabbing on my finger).

Thanks for posting your Apex guide. I'm planning to get some XTX200's, but wasn't sure about which 1st stages to get.....hose routing, and all that! :wink:

I have two sets of doubles, one with Tek3s and one with ATX200s - I actually prefer the hose routing on the 200s. YMMV, here's a pic IMG_4012.jpg

I have two sets of doubles, one with Tek3s and one with ATX200s - I actually prefer the hose routing on the 200s. YMMV, here's a picView attachment 155377

I have the Tek3s, and I don't think the hoses route well. That is, of course, ironic, since they were designed for doubles with the idea that the hoses would route better. When you route them, you have to have a right angle bend pretty quickly out of the regulator on most hoses, which puts a strain on them.

I have the Tek3s, and I don't think the hoses route well. That is, of course, ironic, since they were designed for doubles with the idea that the hoses would route better. When you route them, you have to have a right angle bend pretty quickly out of the regulator on most hoses, which puts a strain on them.

Totally agree. It was also an interesting insight into Apeks' marketing when they chose to bundle their premium "technical" reg set with XTX50 seconds... not that there is anything wrong with them, but just underlines the fact that they're the same as 100 and 200 second minus some bling and the higher price tag

A couple of my dive buddies use them, and are really happy with them. I have tried them a few times, but I just don't like the side handle on those for shooting a bag.

It's probably because I'm used to using the regular style finger spools.

What I didn't like was having to loosen the knurled knob to allow to spool to spin freely.
When reeling it in, you have to lock it down again and wind the line the way you normally would.

The handle isn't much use to me when winding the line back on the spool. I'm just used to grabbing the flange on the spool with my left hand, and using the double ender to wind the line up.

I don't want to use the double ender as a handle extension.

That being said, the handle is removable, which allows it to be used like the regular finger spools.

I'll just stick with my Dive Rite finger spools.

** Thanks for posting your Apex guide. I'm planning to get some XTX200's, but wasn't sure about which 1st stages to get.....hose routing, and all that! :wink:

Cheers,
Mitch

Have you considered HOG...:D

For use with an SMB the HOG reels IMO would not be the best choice since the smallest is a 200 ft model. May be ok if you're diving the Doria or in one hell of a current at 100 feet or so but for recreational diving in even mild current it'd be a bit of overkill. I'd have to go with Mitch's choice if there were not other options available. Between a spool and 200 ft reel for the stated purpose? Finger spool. Of course those are also available. 100 & 150 ft versions from the same place. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom