Best quality PRESCRIPTION scuba/snorkel mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so I went with sea vision. Question for those of you who use sea vision or I guess any other prescription mask.

Can I just clean this normally with toothpaste and a toothbrush? My last mask I had fogged up and I learned to clean it with a toothbursh and toothpaste and to use a little defogger after that.

Is prescription masks the same, or could this method cause damage?

Assuming you mean that you bought or are buying a mask with either readers or a full prescription in them, then NO do not touch them they are good to go out of the box. Same of you bought one of their filtered masks.

Can I just clean this normally with toothpaste and a toothbrush? My last mask I had fogged up and I learned to clean it with a toothbursh and toothpaste and to use a little defogger after that.

NO! Seavisions lenses are made of CR39, the same type of plastic used for regular eyeglasses. It is very durable, but will scratch easier than glass.
Second, it doesn't fog like regular masks do. Seavision included a bottle of their own antifog with it, but haven't used that much.

One thing to deal with is fear of loosing your mask.
Doing a California surf entry wearing my $600 mask with my Paralenz Camera attached, I have something close to $1,300 of hardware strapped to my head!
Nervous times.

Mask around my neck, not on my face, during surf entries tends to mitigate this problem. I've never felt the need to have a mask on my face while entering through surf, but I've seen how easily the surf can take a mask off a face.

Just to add my two cents to the prescription mask discussion: I've been using Aqualung's Look 2 mask for over 10 years. It retails for about $85 and has user replaceable glass lenses. Prescription lenses are available "over the counter" for about $25 each; the frame of the mask can be quickly disassembled and the prescription lenses dropped in. Has an added advantage in that the mask frame and skirt can be taken apart for a good cleaning anytime. The mask is good quality, a total of about $135 (retail... sometimes it can be found for less) for mask and prescription lenses, and the lenses can be changed by the user if their prescription changes. (My prescription is a -3.50 and -4.00... they make lenses from -1.50 to -6.00, I think.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom