• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best practices of GUE versus other dive programs ?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Roger Hobden, Aug 20, 2018.

1. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 Public Safety Diver

Good things come to those who wait. You’ll get it.

2. Thalassamania

Thalassamania Diving Polymath ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Please tell Marcus that you're no a real diving authority unless you've stood on principle and been, as a result, thrown out of the organization.

sigxbill and Trace Malinowski like this.
  3. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You signed up for Cave1 or Tech1 and the failure rate was sky high....

sigxbill likes this.
  4. Alexandros

Alexandros DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Although this practice is not limited to GUE, i think it would be great if all OW and AOW training programs had video recording of the trainees.

It's pretty simple nowadays (with all these action cameras available) and I'd say it greatly enhances the training procedure.

Ayisha, EireDiver606 and taimen like this.
  5. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    RAID allows for it. I think SNSI allows for mask mounted cameras. I believe pretty much everyone else stays away from it due to some training deaths where an instructor was preoccupied with a camera. I have no information on those incidents. I would guess that the instructor was looking through a viewfinder and thus was unable to see anything else.

I see zero issue with mask mounted cameras, but other agencies will disagree. The only arguments I’ve heard were FUD: “instructors will be distracted by taking videos of sea life to make a good video for their students and not pay enough attention to their students.” I think that’s BS.

I don’t see an issue with hand mounted cameras either. You just point it at a student and you still have all eyes on your students and can react to anything just as quickly as your hands are empty.

6. Alexandros

Alexandros DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    yeah, it's better there is a dedicated diver shooting the videos, not the instructor. That's how it went with my Fundamentals class anyway.

Jack Hammer likes this.
  7. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Maybe video isn’t really needed for OW, but for more specialized training, such as SM, it would be damned handy. I made sure to take my camera first time out diving after SM class.

8. Ayisha

Ayisha DIR Practitioner

That's what I've seen as well.

9. Ayisha

Ayisha DIR Practitioner

Back in 2014, Bob Sherwood told a group of us that someone could theoretically go straight to Tech 1 with an evaluation, but they had better be exceptional. He said many people tried, but he only exempted (I believe he said) one person in all these years. I had already met you the year before, but he never mentioned you by name. Now I know that person was you. :)