Best practices of GUE versus other dive programs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the best practices recommended by GUE that, according to your experience, should be incorporated into the basic open water courses of all the other dive programs around the world.

What dive programs have already incorporated some or most of these aspects ?

Are there dive programs that are superior to GUE in terms of diver safety and anticipation of potential problems ?

That's an interesting question. There are things that I learned from GUE Fundamentals (which would also be taught in their basic OW course, Rec 1) that I am glad I was taught. But your question is whether I believe those things "should be incorporated into the basic open water courses of all the other dive programs around the world." It occurs to me that maybe the various dive programs have their own niches. For example, most graduates of the PADI OW cert program seem amply qualified to safely do the kinds of dives that most divers around the world are interested in doing. PADI is huge and apparently quite successful with its model in all respects, including diver safety.

What I would like to see is a more open "marketplace" for training. Prospective divers who want to compare different options find that difficult. If they had more information on agencies and instructors, they could make a more informed choice.

It is the strong emphasis on buoyancy and trim. But that is not unique to GUE.
There are CMAS OW courses taught that are longer and more extensive than GUE Rec1 in terms of diver safety training and problem solving skills.

Primary donate comes to mind. Frog kick and flat trim would build a foundation for more advanced positioning and not beating up the bottom/reef.
Just out of curiosity.....why is primary donate better than octo? I agree on both your other points.

Guaranteed working regulator for the OOG diver. (Appropriate gas isn't an issue at that level.) Have you ever noticed how many octos end up dragging along the bottom?

Just out of curiosity.....why is primary donate better than octo? I agree on both your other points.

hundreds of threads on here outlining primary donate and why it's better than secondary donate/take. The BSAC guys get particularly defensive about it.
Short answer is its the reg that panicked divers go for anyway so prepare for it, it is more streamlined, easier to donate, faster to donate, and ensures a working regulator in the mouth of the OOA diver.

In terms of what should be incorporated, the biggest ones for me are emphasis on proper bouyancy/trim/propulsion that just make the divers better overall.

I'd like traditional agencies to just develop one quality flutter kick (no divarication of legs with fin blades turning inward or bicycling) in open water training again before they go mucking about with (or mucking up rather) anti-silt techniques. I'm seeing recreational instructors turning shuffle and modified flutter kicks into bicycles. Quality diving can be done whether a diver mimics a Cessna or a helicopter.

What best practice of GUE should be exported? Quality.

What practice of GUE shouldn't be exported? Parochialism.

Guaranteed working regulator for the OOG diver. (Appropriate gas isn't an issue at that level.) Have you even noticed how many octos end up dragging along the bottom?

Okay but what happens if you give away your primary and then your octo ends up not working? Then you become the OOA diver.

hundreds of threads on here outlining primary donate and why it's better than secondary donate/take. The BSAC guys get particularly defensive about it.
Short answer is its the reg that panicked divers go for anyway so prepare for it, it is more streamlined, easier to donate, faster to donate, and ensures a working regulator in the mouth of the OOA diver.

Guess that makes me a horrible buddy then....cuz....FFM. But generally, the octo hose is a bit longer and usually bright yellow. I guess ease of deployment could be a factor if not set up properly. For me, though, I run the MARES Viper and have it set up to just pull off the the keeper so I guess I don't really see it as being any more difficult or time consuming than donating my primary. But whatever works. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think at the end of the day, as long as you KNOW what to do in that situation and are prepared ahead of time and can execute your planned course of action quickly and efficiently, it shouldn't make all that much difference which reg you donate to the OOA diver. As long as they have a working air supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom