Best possible lite for ~$300 budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a Dorcy LED for, well, basically for a primary light because my old 8 c-cell is OLD and the Dorcy outshines it. Doing more wreck and green water diving so looking for something a bit more powerful. Budget is $300. I'm considering Intova Super Nova and used 10w HID canister lights. Trouble with the Intova is the beam is SO wide...

Anything else out there that's as good or better than a 10w HID in the $300 neighborhood? I can be canister, hand held, whatever.

Thanks.

I've got a Dorcy LED for, well, basically for a primary light because my old 8 c-cell is OLD and the Dorcy outshines it. Doing more wreck and green water diving so looking for something a bit more powerful. Budget is $300. I'm considering Intova Super Nova and used 10w HID canister lights. Trouble with the Intova is the beam is SO wide...

Anything else out there that's as good or better than a 10w HID in the $300 neighborhood? I can be canister, hand held, whatever.

Thanks.

Check with caveadventurers. You can get the narrow beam 4 (maybe 4.7) watt intova and an oxycheck lighht sock for a lot less than you have to spend and you will be very pleased.

Intova Nova 3W light with Oxycheq Light Sock [fintovasock] - $60.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
Intova 4.7 watt Cree [4.7 cree] - $49.50 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Check with caveadventurers. You can get the narrow beam 4 (maybe 4.7) watt intova and an oxycheck lighht sock for a lot less than you have to spend and you will be very pleased.

Intova Nova 3W light with Oxycheq Light Sock [fintovasock] - $60.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
Intova 4.7 watt Cree [4.7 cree] - $49.50 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Agreed! A buddy recently gave me the 4.7, and I picked up the light sock from Edd. Great light! I used it in less than stellar viz in a lake in MO...no problem signalling my buddy.

Well....the switch fell out on my most recent dive...BUT...an email to Intova and I have free replacements on the way. Both with my light and my camera, I've been very pleased with Intova's customer service.

Thanks! That's pretty much the setup I have with the Dorcy I've got - Dorcy International - Flashlights, LED Flashlights, Flashlight Batteries, Flashlight Bulbs - 180 lumens, 6AAA's, 8 hour burn time and I've got it in the oxycheq light sock. That light sock is also awesome to use above water walking the dogs at night, two leashes in one hand, the flashlight and a beer in the other!! :D

I'm looking for something with a bit more oompf than 180 though.

Have you considered our SLX 800t? Here it is: Dive Lights

You're welcome to ask us any questions here or contact one of our dealers :)

Also think about the Sartek EBL 2200 lights. Under $180 US for the rechargeable version and nearly as bright as a 10W HID. The 3AA alkaline version is even less expensive. Both will burn full brightness for 4-6 hours, and then fade out over another 500 or so hours.

I just put a video of them on YouTube earlier today.

YouTube - Sartek 0001

P.S they also work with the OxyCheq light socks...

Mat.

I'm closing out one Nocturnal Lights SLX light for only $260. Includes removable diffuser and ball mount for use as video or focus light.
Nocturnal Light

Jack

Here's an unbiased review from Brian Treinen of Adventures in Underwater Florida.

180 LUMEN

You can also find some reviews on other lights through their home page under "gear reviews".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom