Best Masks for Bearded Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. Planning on becoming a tropical instructor. So.. lot of dives, salt, chlorine water. Gonna need a mask that's durable (the skirt in particular). And.. I've got a pretty thick beard/mustache that I don't plan on shaving.

Obviously personal fit is the most important thing here. But assuming the mask fits...

Best masks out there? Strongest skirts/seals?

I've read that the Solo is the best for beards.. and that's what I use now.. and my nose feels a bit cramped.. but it more or less gets the job done and keeps the water out.

The cressi skirts, I think, aren't very strong.. or durable.. nor are their straps. Likewise, Aqualung.

Scubapro and Atomic seems to have nice strong skirts though.. if I can find the right fit.

I have an Atomic Ultraclear mask, but I also shave the area just below my nose, just 1/4 inch is all you need. very little leakage.

Best mask? The one that fits. For masks, there is no particular brand that is "best." Just try several on, and see which fits you best.

Best mask? The one that fits. For masks, there is no particular brand that is "best." Just try several on, and see which fits you best.

There's certainly a difference in the quality and durability of the skirts. Cressi's suck.

I agree with simcoediver the best thing to do is to shave just a bit under your nose so that you'll have some sort of seal.
The alternative is a bit of vaseline on your mustache to help create a messy seal.
The 1/4" trick works best for me and I do have a thick mustache and the occasional beard, although the beard itself plays no roll in sealing the mask.

There's certainly a difference in the quality and durability of the skirts. Cressi's suck.

Oddly enough, I have two Cressi masks that I like quite a bit, They're comfortable, fit nicely and they also work pretty well with my beard and mustache. They may not be the best for you but they don't "suck" for everyone.

If you can find one used online the Tusa Pano works quite well for my buddy who has a beard and mustache. I bought one and tried it, I found that it sealed great with no trimming of the mustache, it just has a smaller field of vision than I liked

Back
Top Bottom