Best Masks for Bearded Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddly enough, I have two Cressi masks that I like quite a bit, They're comfortable, fit nicely and they also work pretty well with my beard and mustache. They may not be the best for you but they don't "suck" for everyone.

For sure. Works for you, great. Lots of cold-water and pool-diving for me.. not even 6 months.. strap already ripped. Skirt has already deteriorated greatly. Nose constantly flooded. Fogs badly. I can't say enough bad things from my experience.

I trim a little below my nose and Found that a little scuba silicone under my nose seals well.

Like I said. The scubapro Solo skirt seems to be more than strong enough to seal the mustache (no silicone needed). And the Synergy2's seal is supposedly even stronger. So there are some options out there. I was just wondering if there were any go-to super strong skirt mustache masks divers in the know went to. (as the nose-pocket on the Solo's a little snug for me)

I've recently switched to an Hollis M1 after years diving Cressi Big Eyes. I notice the Hollis is particularly good in maintaining a seal when I'm going through a 'sea dog' phase (too lazy to shave for months)...

I've had good luck with an Oceanic Shadow. As long as I push it up the slightest bit to clear a little more of the ol' 'stache, it seems to seal quite well.

In fact, since my eyeglasses prescription has recently changed, I'm planning to just get a new one and have Prescription Dive Masks put the new Rx in that.

Bread should not interfere with a mask at all, if so, you are doing it wrong.

I have a mustache and beard (see my profile pic - beard a bit shorter now). I started diving with an Oceanic Mini Shadow. I thought that leaking masks was just the way it was with a beard. Constant water on my nose. Then I started shaving the top of my mustache, which helped a bit, but still issues. Around this time I had bought a spare Neptune mask cheap on a clearance sale. It lived in my cupboard.

I started getting a bit more serious about diving and decided to try my spare mask in case I ever needed it. Turns out the crappy back up I bought is great. It hardly ever leaks. I can go entire dives without clearing my mask and with a dry nose.

I recently had to shave for work. Tried my Shadow again and it still wasn't a great fit.

Moral of the story - get a mask that fits.

I have an Atomic Ultraclear that works ok with some Vaseline but agree with a previous post as it being a little messy. I was recently advised to try chap stick! I haven't tried yet, but sounded like a good idea, so thought I would share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom