? Best Fins for injured hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, that was the test i was referring to and they rated the six gills much much hogher in 2005.

your logic has its merits, but im also thinking that in 2005 they tested the black version and in 2007 they tested the colored version. as i previously mentioned, the black version uses a modified rubber compound which makes it stiffer, and negatively bouyant. this is in itself would make the black fin a much more powerful kicker and could offset the bouyancy issues of the colored fins.

being a tropical rec diver, i myself prefer positively bouyant fins since it helps keep me and my bcd horizontal.
because of the stiffer material, im more keen on getting the black aps mantarays instead.

Their written comments as well as the test scores on the Six-Gill seem very similar, with a few minor differences that are probably attributable to the stiffer material of the Six-Gills. I've bolded the relevant excerpts:

DEEP OUTDOORS Six-Gill

More than 15 years in development, the new Six-Gill fin has a unique dual-directional water channeling system that, according to its maker, offers kicking power yet conserves kicking energy. The fin is shorter than most, and relatively lightweight, making it especially good for traveling.

The Six-Gill delivered mid-range results out on the objective test courses, then racked up the third-highest ergonomic score in this year's face-off. Test divers particularly liked its short, easy-to-wield blades, enabling them to get close to reefs while maintaining perfect control to avoid accidental contact with coral heads. It also proved to be a very stable fin, and a natural for divers partial to frog and dolphin kicks. However, the fin's nonskid provides only marginal traction on a wet boat deck.

The Six-Gill uses a super-simple strap system that eschews buckles. Pick the right adjustment slot on the strap, pop it over the fin post, and you're good to go. This system makes it hard to readjust while at depth, but if you did it right to begin with, you shouldn't ever have to readjust it under water. Test divers found the foot pocket to be very comfortable, in spite of the fact that at the time of testing it was available only in medium/large. Deep Outdoors says small/medium and large/extra-large sizes should be available by the time you read this.

Test Divers' Comments: "Straps are efficient--I like them." ... "Fins are shorter than average, which makes them easy to use." ... "I thought at first the straps were a little awkward, but they ended up working pretty well." ..."Very decent fin." ... "Good fin for the frog kick."

2005 Fin Test | Scuba Diving Magazine

I note that the Six-Gills had the lowest test scores of the four Tester's Choice fins in 2005, so you'd expect that they'd be the first to get bumped down the list if other fins improved. Obviously they work for you and you're happy with them (which is the important thing), but ISTM the test results were essentially identical; the bar was just moved higher in the meantime.

Here's the numbers for the Mantaray from 2007:

http://www.scubadiving.com/files/old/images/pdf/200711_fin_test_chart.pdf

APS Mantaray

The Mantaray is virtually identical to the Deep Outdoors 6-Gill we tested in 2005, with the noticeable addition of an improved nonskid surface. This all-rubber fin uses a multi-vent channeling system designed to focus thrust and reduce effort, and comes with a buckle-free fin strap system. The short, flexible blade is easy to kick and offers quick, off-the-line acceleration, though it tops out at average speed. It's very stable, thanks to flexible side wings that add surface area on the power stroke but relax on the upstroke. The smaller blade also shines in maneuverability, as well as the frog and dolphin kicks. The compact size makes it a good travel fin, and although the buckle-free strap system is a pain to set up, once adjusted to your foot, it allows for easy donning and doffing.

Test Diver Comments "A very maneuverable fin" ... "A soft flex that's easy on the legs"... "The straps are great once they are set, but have a learning curve with adjusting."

Bottom Line The Mantaray offers comfort and average performance in a compact, travel-friendly package. Price: $149.
-------------------------------------------------------

Guy

ah yes.
totally my bad. had it confused with another older article.
thanks for pointing it out.

...but the 6-gill fin did get a testers choice award that year (2005)

Back
Top Bottom