Best fin for UW Photog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeduke

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Right now I'm shooting a lot of DSDs twice a day. The groups come out in different times in groups of four. I have to fin around a lot getting to the different groups on our assigned dive route but also fin in and out of the group, back to front, left to right, zig zag, etc and I have to be highly mobile and in control.

I have been using Quattros and I find the control and quick acceleration great, but I expend a lot of energy, or feel like I do when doing long hauls. I borrowed a DMs Raptors and they were amazing going to and fro the groups, but when I had to mingle through the groups I felt a bit out of control, and when I needed quick acceleration they seemed floppy.

Anybody else do this kind of finning around on splits or newer power type fins? I'm really kneen on the Seawing Nova or the new Mares X-Tremes.

Last edited:
I like my Jet Fins with spring straps installed. The jets are nice and stiff and give a really nice level of control for fine tuning hover positions while getting tough shots with macro lenses etc. The springs are a must for easy donning with lots of camera gear on shore dives.

I do understand that some kit is classic for a reason, like when the jet fins came out they must have caused a stir. I'm quite keen on the Seawing Novas, just curious if someone has used them in a situation where you need the control to stop and go in all sorts of ways that you kneed to when shooting groups of people.

I use the Mares Volo and they are great - light and fast when you need them to.

However, I have recently been introduced to the ScubaPro Seawing Nova - haven't dove them, but followed someone using them - they are also light, a little shorter than the Volos, but boy do you get the power with them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom