Best Fin for Frog AND Flutter kicking? ("best of both worlds" fin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Mares Power Plana a lot; the rubber bungee straps suck though and look like they will fail any moment. I have F1 for my drysuit but need stronger legs to make the work well for flutter kicking. For frog/helicopter/back they are great.
I use the Mares Power Plana with my drysuit and they work well but have one flaw for me. The bungee strap is very stiff and often when I take my fins off in surf and have to yank the strap fast, the strap comes off the fin post. Very annoying.

Over a decade ago, a cooperative LDS let me take a pair of every fin they sold to the pool. The Mares Quattros were best or a near second best for frog, flutter, and dolphin kicks (and best for the frog kick). What were the other fins? No clue. However, I have since tried jets and turtles, and found them not to be as good--for me. Remember, this is sports equipment. Everyone's legs and musculature are different. At the "hey, this is OK!" end will be a lot of solutions. At the "this is best" end, the solutions will narrow sharply and differ for different people.

The Mares Quattros were best or a near second best for frog, flutter, and dolphin kicks (and best for the frog kick).

Well, Steve Bogaerts dives Mares Quattro's. An eloquent enough statement of quality. Watch him kicking through these delicate structures. A pure delight to behold.

I confess, I'm not a fin maven. The traditional logic was that if you need a fin that requires and delivers POWER, you want something like a classic Rocket fin. No flex in them at all, really. A lot of work if you have a heavy kick, but because they don't flex [read: collapse] that power all gets turned into thrust.

" where I need to flutter kick. If I'm diving into a very heavy current," I would suggest a dolphin kick not a flutter. I find that when I can stop thinking and just do it, the dolphin (with arms faired back alongside the tank) covers way more ground way faster than any fluttering. No drag or turbulence from the legs crossing each other.

I should really look into modern fins some day, but there are so many "miracle" fins announced so often, I don't think I've got enough credit cards to really explore them all. (Drat.)

I currently own Seawing Novas, RK3s and Dive Rite XTs, and find the Dive Rites to be the best overall fins for both flutter and frog kicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom