Best Fin for Frog AND Flutter kicking? ("best of both worlds" fin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A comment from me would have some value, if I had dived with all the fins you listed. That is not the case. Yet, have a look at Apeks RK3. Really good allover fins.

Really, significantly better to flutter with than the jet fins?

Yes, the F1's flutter quite well, but you need to have the leg muscles to utilize them.

The RK3's suck. They're WAY too floppy. It's a function of the material that Apeks uses for that iteration of that fin style. I've never used the RK3 HD's, but I hear they are stiffer, and much better in terms of actual use. You can get that same style in other materials as well, the design has been around for years.

How do the XTs compare to the Quattros? Frog and flutter. Have you used both?

I have no experience with the Quattros. My input is purely based on 2 out of your 3 fins mentioned. Quattros were my next fin to try had I not been so happy with the XTs.

Could you expand on that a little bit for me please — comparing and contrasting the XTs with the Quattros (frog and flutter kick, etc)
Sure but don’t know if my reasons will help you much. Keep in mind that I am a petite female.

I started with Quattros many years ago and was very satisfied. But during an intro cave class I felt my frog kick was weak. The instructor used XTs so I bought a pair to try. Used them for the class then later in open water, mostly drift dives. I honestly did not see much difference between the fins for either flutter or frog. They both seemed to work equally well, especially after I worked to improve my frog kick.

Since the Quattros fit and felt better on my feet and the XTs made me a little foot heavy and I didn’t need both, I sold the XTs.

I like the Mares Power Plana a lot; the rubber bungee straps suck though and look like they will fail any moment. I have F1 for my drysuit but need stronger legs to make the work well for flutter kicking. For frog/helicopter/back they are great.

I am an ex-competitive swimmer. I prefer a quicker cadence to my kick and love Scubapro Gos which I use for tropical diving and the pool. I can frog and back kick in them much easier than my Mares Quattros which I use for cold water diving at home and are a little large for my liking.

The Scubapro goes are also fast for flutter or dolphin kick (when i really need a burst of speed)

Back
Top Bottom