Best Fin for Frog AND Flutter kicking? ("best of both worlds" fin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I'm a recreational instructor in a tropical locale. On nice relaxing dives, I of course prefer to frog kick. But there are instances that come up where I need to flutter kick. If I'm diving into a very heavy current, if I need to get to a student very quickly, if I'm chasing after a shark, etc.

I use three fins primarily.

Scubapro Jet Fins. An amazing, amazing frog-kick fin. But it's almost painful to flutter kick in these if I ever need to get somewhere fast.

Scubapro Nova Fins. Incredibly fast fin if I ever need to get anywhere quickly, or if I'm swimming into a heavy current. But a really bad & awkward fin for frog-kicking.

Mares Quattro Fins. My current "best of both worlds" fin that I use most frequently. Not as wonderful frog kicking as the Jet Fins, but fine. Not as fast as the Nova's if I'm in a hurry or going into a current, but again, fine.

I'm wondering if there might be a better "best of both worlds" fin out there for me, better than the Quattros. I've heard that the Dive Rite XT fins may be what I'm looking for.

Would love to hear any opinions!

Quatro's are good and their full foot fin is a great tropical boat fin.

I like the Hollis F1s (The Bat Fins) as well as Deep Six's new fin when I wear boots, which is most of the time.

I rate the XTs. I swapped to XTs from the Novas as I was struggling with frog kicking and excessively buoyant feet. The XTs are heavier but don't drag my feet down, seem close to perc1ect for my trim. I can chase students/tourists when needed. A week in Truk last month where I only frog kicked at a really relaxed pace made me fall in love even more. I had zero issues hovering, turning or reversing in tight spaces. Some people have mentioned cramp issues due to stiffness, though i suspect this is due to lack of muscle mass/conditioning. If you are fine with jet fins you won't have cramp issues with XTs.

When I read the title I immediately thought Mares Quattro. I have tried the XTs and did not like as well but it might be your next best bet.

Definitely the Mares Quattro's for lightweight fins. Dive Rite XT's would also work.

For negative fins, the Hollis F1's.

Any solid paddle fin is OK but I prefer rubber fins. I currently use the Gull Super MEW and find it amazing for both. ALso comes in a full foot version for boat diving.

A comment from me would have some value, if I had dived with all the fins you listed. That is not the case. Yet, have a look at Apeks RK3. Really good allover fins.

Quatro's are good and their full foot fin is a great tropical boat fin.

I like the Hollis F1s (The Bat Fins) as well as Deep Six's new fin when I wear boots, which is most of the time.

The F1’s and D6 fins are good for flutter kick too? The design of both seems similar to the jetfins

I rate the XTs. I swapped to XTs from the Novas as I was struggling with frog kicking and excessively buoyant feet. The XTs are heavier but don't drag my feet down, seem close to perc1ect for my trim. I can chase students/tourists when needed. A week in Truk last month where I only frog kicked at a really relaxed pace made me fall in love even more. I had zero issues hovering, turning or reversing in tight spaces. Some people have mentioned cramp issues due to stiffness, though i suspect this is due to lack of muscle mass/conditioning. If you are fine with jet fins you won't have cramp issues with XTs.

How do the XTs compare to the Quattros? Frog and flutter. Have you used both?

When I read the title I immediately thought Mares Quattro. I have tried the XTs and did not like as well but it might be your next best bet.

Could you expand on that a little bit for me please — comparing and contrasting the XTs with the Quattros (frog and flutter kick, etc)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom