Best diving locations...in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to post in favor of the Great Lakes here. I'm contemplating a trip to Sanilac Shores Preserve in Michigan (on Lake Huron) in August or September, soon as I save up for that dry suit.... :D

Your name says it all, dude. Get a passport already! :mooner:

I appriciate all the info on diving spots around the globe. I just returned from cozumel and was let down by the dive visibility. I guess it was from past huricanes. Ill am thinking on taking advice on the Solomon Island hope it will be better.

As an extension to this discussion -- which is just fascinating for a newbie diver to read... What is the best diving location for the inexperienced? I don't think we are ready for deep dives to Truk lagoon just yet!

Martin and Justine

Hey Andy,

You're description looks realy interesting. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to diving. Just did 1 guided dive in corsica france. I completely loved it and now i'm looking to do an initiation course so i can do my own dives.
Could you recommend a course in the area you mentioned?
Is there any interesting locations inland to visit besides the deep waters?

thx for sharing!

As an extension to this discussion -- which is just fascinating for a newbie diver to read... What is the best diving location for the inexperienced? I don't think we are ready for deep dives to Truk lagoon just yet!

Martin and Justine

In the Caribbean, both Bonaire and Cozumel (with a dive op that knows, understands and respects your skill level - check the forum) will serve you well.

In my opinion... absolutely Indonesia.. coz there's so many great diving spot there... any kind of dive u want.. can do it here... reef dive, wall dive, wreck dive, drift dive, u name it... we have it all here...
we have so many place u can dive in.. Raja ampat, Bunaken, Komodo island, Wakatobi, Bali, Derawan, Lombok, Alor, ambon, and many more...:crafty:
i think there are more than 300 dive spots all over indonesia:eyebrow:
above all that... the cost is cheap in here.. even if u compare it to thailand...
so.. why don't u try Indonesia then....:D:blinking:
for diving.. i recomended u go directly to Bali..from there u can get connecting flight to the other place...
and don't forget di dive there too... some manta's and mola-mola(sunfish) awaiting you there... :p

Martin and Justine

Hi Martin and Justine,

It doesn't say where you live so don't know what would be convenient or handy but here are some not too difficult but still pleasant sites from my experience.

Gozo (Malta's little sister) in the Med. Beautiful formations on land that extend to the underwater environment with very little current or difficult obstacles. Many nice sites under 18 metres.

Dahab in the Red Sea. A good variety of sites (mainly shore diving), again not too much current and a wonderful variety of coral and fish.

Cozumel. Only been once but I saw that the dive ops catered to many less inexperienced divers (many off the cruise ships just for the day). However, some of the sites can be a bit demanding with current.

Hi Martin and Justine,

It doesn't say where you live so don't know what would be convenient or handy but here are some not too difficult but still pleasant sites from my experience.

Gozo (Malta's little sister) in the Med. Beautiful formations on land that extend to the underwater environment with very little current or difficult obstacles. Many nice sites under 18 metres.

Dahab in the Red Sea. A good variety of sites (mainly shore diving), again not too much current and a wonderful variety of coral and fish.

Cozumel. Only been once but I saw that the dive ops catered to many less inexperienced divers (many off the cruise ships just for the day). However, some of the sites can be a bit demanding with current.

Wow -- I a feel a little overwhelmed by the wonderful advice from people. We are coming from the east coast so the Atlantic is closest for us. I look forward to researching these different suggestions.

All the best

Martin

This is mainly for Martin,

We were under 10 dives when we went to Roatan and had a great time. We stayed at one of the resorts which is diver focused. It was great for new divers as you had lots of different experience levels around you and could pick stuff up from the more experienced. The dive guides were also very good, safety conscious, and attentive.

Roatan is mainly wall dives however there are some wrecks. At the resort I was at, there is a wreck right out in front of the resort complete with handy chain leading you back home and a couple of wall dives which are within flipper distance of the resort (in fact, they are drop off dive locations for your 2nd and 4th morning or afternoon dives). There are many many divers who go back to this resort as often as possible (I'm back in December) so it must have something going for it in amenities and dive quality.

I wouldn't submit Roatan as a top 10 location, but it was pretty darn good compared to the other places I've been (which I admit is limited). From North America it's also pretty darn easy to get to - even easier for those of you in the southern US.

Back
Top Bottom