Best diving locations...in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did some research and found this:

You have to be wary of the ratings at a travel site or a magazine that accepts advertising. Their incentives may not be where they should be.

7 wonders of the underwater world
7 Wonders of the Underwater World
I have been to 3 of these destinations (Belize, Great Barrier Reef, Palau). They are truly wonders of the underwater world, and none of them would be a bad trip, but only Palau would make it to my top 10 list.

I have been to 8 of these destinations. I still haven't been to the Galapagos and I will probably never make it to the Red Sea. Bali hasn't been mentioned enough in this thread, because it offers a variety of great diving, plus a great above-water experience. It should be on everybody's short list of places to go. Belize, the Caymans, and Cozumel are nice dive spots--I have been to Belize three times and Cozumel and Little Cayman one time each. Belize is my favorite destination in the Caribbean, with Little Cayman being a close second, based on quality of the diving. Nevertheless, none of those three belongs on this list. There is no Caribbean dive destination that belongs on this list--the Indo-Pacific blows away the Caribbean by most objective measures. We could quibble over where the other destinations fall on the list, but they all probably belong. But you need to get to the outside of the Great Barrier Reef to see the best dive sites there.

I have dived 4 of these dive sites. I enjoyed Richelieu Rock because I had two extended whale shark encounters there. From what I read, that kind of experience is a thing of the past and the site is coasting on its reputation. Blue Corner in Palau is in my top 10 sites list. The Yongala and Barracuda Point in Sipadan are great dives too, but I'm not sure they crack my top 10 list.

Truk Lagoon aka Chuuk - World wide wrecks`s capital (60 wrecks)
Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site
Truk is an amazing destination if you like wrecks.

Any list that does not include Pt. Lobos somewhere on it (or for that matter, any single temperate or arctic site), I find suspect.

Any list that does not include Pt. Lobos somewhere on it (or for that matter, any single temperate or arctic site), I find suspect.

Well, I can't speak for the OP, but one of his criteria was

2: Good diving conditions

which would rule out all the arctic sites for me. Like most of these list makers, it seems, I have the typical vacation diver's bias towards the tropics, perhaps with sub-conscious images of white sand, bikini clad sun-worshippers, and umbrella drinks clouding the picture. I have put Pt. Lobos on my list of places to go, however, based on your recommendation.

if your looking for a secret place to dive where the only diver is you and the diving is excellent.....and very few people have dived there......do some i net re search and check out Andaman islands(neil island)...only one dive shop on the island (indiascubaexplorers)
India Scuba Explorers

any1 here been to Atol Bikini or PNG and can post some pictures with surroundings, wrecks, etc?

ty

Hi MisaC
PNG and the Solomon Islands (right next door) are both in my top 10. My itinerary in PNG didn't take me where there are wrecks but pretty much everywhere in PNG there is great coral and fish life and easy diving.

The Solomons also offers warm water 29C, and reefs and fish that are the equal of PNG (perhaps fewer pelagics) and lots of accessible war wrecks:

And some pretty good resort views too

I have more photos in my albums and there are heaps from better photographers down in the regional forum.

Wherever you go have a great time and post a report!

Alison

Here's the real deal. I haven't met a diver that has been to every single place that they want to dive. You are just going to have to pick the top 3-5 places you want to go and throw a dart. Then, make a list of things you liked and didn't like so you have a bases for planning your next trip. My favorite place to dive is the one I have never been to, but the excitement of knowing that I will soon be going there!

Sounds cliche but its true!

I was about to say that..
Those lists are all "great tropical sites" and nothing more. And any site that put "Cozumel" as the best site in the world I wouldnt rely on for 2 seconds. Cozumel was a bigtime letdown for me, probably because people where saying is was SO much better than anywhere else..

Here's the real deal. I haven't met a diver that has been to every single place that they want to dive. You are just going to have to pick the top 3-5 places you want to go and throw a dart. Then, make a list of things you liked and didn't like so you have a bases for planning your next trip. My favorite place to dive is the one I have never been to, but the excitement of knowing that I will soon be going there!

Sounds cliche but its true!
Thats very true. If I thought Id seen and experienced it all, I think Id lose the urge to go diving pretty quick :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom