Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO! Do NOT get a Suunto.

Shearwater and only Shearwater all day long. Perdix AI or Teric. Any other computer will lead to eventual regret.

I do love my Suunto computers but I have to admit, when my D6i recently needed a new battery it took them two $%^&*&^%#$% months to get it back to me. I've been seriously looking at the Shearwater dive computers and they look really sweet. Which is the best Shearwater for tech diving and which has the most options for different gas mixes beyond air and EAN?

Just curious why you need to be able to read the numbers from 5 feet away?
Hi Mike,

Yeah, I am pushing 60. I still have 20-15 vision (used to be 20-10, I feel blind...).

Reading is an issue. I have a reading lens glued to my mask.

Lynn Partridge was diving below me, I could read her computer while I could not read my Large Font computer (different manufacturer).

Shearwater became very impressive at that point. I test-dived their computers and did not need the reading lens.

They are that clear.

markm

I do love my Suunto computers but I have to admit, when my D6i recently needed a new battery it took them two $%^&*&^%#$% months to get it back to me. I've been seriously looking at the Shearwater dive computers and they look really sweet. Which is the best Shearwater for tech diving and which has the most options for different gas mixes beyond air and EAN?

Either one. It depends upon what features matter most to you. Perdix AI is larger and has replaceable batteries. Teric has the most state-of-the-art screen, is watch sized with rechargeable batteries. Both are full on multigas technical computers. The best out there ... period.

Given I'm also in the UAE.

Shearwater make good computers, I have a Perdix and my backup. They're not however the be all and end all the hive mind on SB suggest. Also they're not as common world wide on vacations as some suggest. But who cares

Unless it's changed the nearest Shearwater service centre is in the UK, they are supposed to have a 7 day turn around (from receipt) until they dispatch. So you have to entrust your computer to the vagaries of international shipping in and out of the UAE

My main computer is my Eon Steel which is much better than the Perdix in most respects especially Screen and menu operation.- and I've been running them side by side for the last 6 months currently hitting about 30 dives per month and getting them into Deco so I have a fair appraisal.

However they are both big and chunky. For watch size, then the Teric is the one to beat without a doubt and I would certainly put that way above a DX. The DX is quite an old computer. However to Muddy the waters the Suunto will be launching the D5 in March (ish) I've seen a pre production model and quite like it, but I do need to strap it on my wrist and dive it before I can recommend it fully

The advantage with a Suunto product here, is that we have a top level service centre here in Dubai, so you can get you gear fixed and serviced easily without shipping.

Moving on to Algorithm. The DX rus Fused RGMB (soon to be RGBM2) which can be set to fairly aggressive like DSAT My Eon Steel runs the same and can be less conservative than the Perdix (at 45/95) I don't know what the conservative settings will be on the D5.

The Eon Steel (and only the Steel) is getting buhlmann (same algorithm as the Perdix later this year, at which point my Perdix will be retired and another Eon Steel purchased.

In summary avoid the DX, and then look at either the Perdix, Teric, Eon Steel or maybe the D5 or Eon Core depending on the amount you want to spend at this moment.

IMO, I think this question is being phrased incorrectly. Maybe the better question to ask is “what dive computer is right for ME?”

If you ask what the best computer ‘on the market’ on SBoard, you’re going to get a LOT of opinions, many based on the users’ experience. Sure the Perdix is VERY well reviewed and owners LOVE them. It’s also $900 to plonk down on a computer. That’s a big investment IMO, for a diver just setting out and figuring out what they like. But if you used it once, and fell in love, it’s a no-brained.

I’ve now been diving 4 years, and I have a simple Cressi Leonardo I bought off Amazon that I modded with bungee straps instead of the standard band. “What a crap computer!” is the normal response I get. No it doesn’t have a profile playback, it doesn’t have bells and whistles, and it’s way too sensitive on my ascents. But it handles all my air and nitrox% and calcs, gives me depth and temp, times my surface interval and no-fly times, and gives me a dive history. I’m a Caribbean and warm&clear water clear princess diver and don’t need much more. And it’s $200 so if it DOES get broken or stolen, I just order a new one without grousing.

That link lists the Zoop, and doesn't list the Perdix. I have both, and I wouldn't trust that list.
The fact that the list is for 2019 and they list the older Petrel and not the Perdix AI and Teric just screams lack of credibility.

If you plan on leading groups I would say go with Suunto and their current algorithm. Being very conservative, you are in little danger of running others in your group into the red. Perhaps if you go with another brand you could utilize GF or conservative factors.
If you want a more liberal or more predictable algorithm Suunto might not be the best choice.

Best for me is not best for all. I also have a Cressi Leonardo, because it was best for me to get two computers for two divers rather than one for both to share on the same dive.

Best for me is not best for all. I also have a Cressi Leonardo, because it was best for me to get two computers for two divers rather than one for both to share on the same dive.

... well since that should NEVER even be considered as an option ...

Back
Top Bottom