Question Best Dive Masks for Guys with Beards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryankwatts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for suggestions on a quality mask that will seal well with a moderately trimmed beard. I'm 2 hours from the nearest dive shop and will have to mostly work from mail order for trying out masks. Thanks.

The key is to have silicone to skin contact (i.e. trim). My son has had good luck with a Dive Rite ES150.

Mares X-Vision works well for me. I don't trim cheeks or mustache below the nose. Your face shape and how the skirt contours to it makes more difference than a stray hair or two. The other piece to diving with full facial hair is accepting that you'll clear your mask more often than the smooth faced divers.

I do not have a beard but I love the mask that I bought from DiversDirect. It has a great seal. It is the TUSA VISIO TRI-EX MASK.

Smear silicone on your face hair at contact points

Make using a 1/8 full of water mask part of your accepted burden.

Clear mask almost subconsciously.

Or, dive a Mark 1.

I’ve had good luck with the Atomic Venom. Super soft silicone and the seal under the nose isn’t too wide (works great with a subtle trim). Even if I forget to trim it tends to find a good seal pretty quick.

Hollis M1 works great for me. I’ve heard the posiden black line mask works well with beards as too.
I second the Hollis M1. I think my issue was more facial structure, somehow, than mustache/beard (e.g., trimming upper margin of mustache did not stop leaks, nor silicone grease), but after going through about 5 masks, the M1 (recommended by my LDS when I discussed my leak problems) just works for me and rarely leaks, even if I forget to grease the mustache. But it might still be worth the pain to go to a 2 hr. away dive shop with a good variety and try a bunch on. The M1 was not the most comfortable, but it just sealed better than all others when I tried it - and the other masks I had bought in person and not by mail had "seemed" to fit at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom