Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orange RVA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Which dive computers would you recommend for a new diver with a budget of up to $600?

I’m strongly considering buying a Shearwater Peregrine. I have heard several good reviews about the Peregrine and I like that it has a nice color screen and is in my price range.

However before I pull the trigger I would like to know if there are any other dive computers that are recommended in this price range.

Peregrine is a solid choice. I have a Perdix but have seen some instructors using the Peregrine and they are quire happy with it.
I would be looking at a DC that uses the Bulhmann ZHL16-C algorithm as Shearwater do.

Try not to think in the terms "for a new diver."

I bought my first computer in 1999. After about a dozen years I realized it was not the best choice for me and I went with a different computer. I sold the old one. I know the person I sold it to, and after a few years, he decided it was not the best choice for him, and he sold it. As far as I know , it is still being used. I had one really dud computer that I had intended as a backup during those years, and it was recalled for manufacturing defects. I currently use two computers when I dive, and I have had them for years.

The same is really true of all dive gear. If you intentionally seek out beginning equipment for a beginning diver, when you decide that you someday are no longer a beginning diver (which should not take long), you may regret it.

Try not to think in the terms "for a new diver."

I bought my first computer in 1999. After about a dozen years I realized it was not the best choice for me and I went with a different computer. I sold the old one. I know the person I sold it to, and after a few years, he decided it was not the best choice for him, and he sold it. As far as I know , it is till being used. I had one really dud computer that I had intended as a backup during those years, and it was recalled for manufacturing defects. I currently use two computers when I dive, and I have had them for years.

The same is really true of all dive gear. If you intentionally seek out beginning equipment for a beginning diver, when you decide that you someday are no longer a beginning diver (which should not take long), you may regret it.
Spot on!!

Pretty sure everyone did this when they first got into diving. Wish I was given this advice back when I first started buying diving equipment.

I think this advise is true for just about most diving equipment. I know I can't really think of a single item I use right now that was equipment I bought when I first got into diving. Everything has been sold and upgraded or just sits in a storage box never used.

I appreciate the input. I agree that buying quality equipment once that you can grow into is better than buying something cheap that will be replaced shortly afterwards.

I’m trying to find a quality dive computer that will last me a long time that also won’t break the bank. I’ve heard great things about the Shearwater Teric and Perdix but I’m not sure if I can afford them at this point.

Should I hold off and save up enough to buy a top of the line dive computer like the Teric or Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?

I’ve got both a perdix and a teric and I prefer the teric but the perdix is very nice also. I’m a buy once cry once guy So my advice is to save up and get what you want.

Which dive computers would you recommend for a new diver with a budget of up to $600?

I’m strongly considering buying a Shearwater Peregrine. I have heard several good reviews about the Peregrine and I like that it has a nice color screen and is in my price range.

However before I pull the trigger I would like to know if there are any other dive computers that are recommended in this price range.
Any modern computer with Nitrox capability will be more than adequate for a new diver. Anything beyond that is personal preference and/or room for growth. Shearwater is the current leader in the market, and the Peregrine is a solid choice.

Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?
I have both, the Perdix is AI though, what type of diving do you want to do, recreational , technical etc.
Buy the peregrine if that's the money you have, if you buy a Perdix with AI in the future you have a spare computer, or sell it [they hold their value] and upgrade.
[or keep both, that would be my choice].

I recommend one of the following computers for best value in price and features:

1. Ratio iX3M 2. You can buy the least expensive one for now as you are a beginner diver and later as your needs expand, you can pay license fee to upgrade your computer to the higher version without throwing away your computer:

2. Scubapro's new G2 Tek computer. It is a fully featured technical dive computer that you can use for recreational diving as well:

3. Scubapro's new LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing. These computers have VERY aggressive pricing with all advanced features include GF. The AI version is very aggressive pricing and has AI feature ( you can buy the transmitter from the beginning or later):

Whatever you choose, make sure you support Buhlmann ZHL-16c with gradient factors as an algorithm. That's the industry standard of the top, most reputable dive computers (Shearwater, Divesoft). There are a few entry level dive computers as well that fit the bill.

At this point, the Shearwater Peregrine is your best choice for your budget. Shearwaters are incredibly popular in North America. They have customer support second to none which has earned them a loyal following. They don't distinguish between brand new purchases versus a private sale. Customer satisfaction is a priority with a company.

You can call us fanboys, but the fact that there are so many of us, it should say something. As opposed to a fanboy of one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom