best dive boat on cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I outlined it pretty clearly but here you go --

East side diving
Segregating divers by skill level onto multiple boats
Puts 1st diver low on air on DM long hose
Steel tanks which you mentioned

I'm not shilling for Aldora, I'm only giving the original poster advice based on his FULL criteria. Unless somebody says different, Aldora is the only operation on the island that I know of that meets all of his requirements, that's all, I don't get any commissions.

I don't think there is any 'best' operation on Cozumel, only choices based on a diver's wish list, and the reason I dive with Aldora above almost everything else they offer is the fact that I can maximize my bottom times because they do group divers by experience. That's a big factor for me cause I'd rather have love for all the divers on my boat instead of trying to figure out how to talk the heavy breather(s) on the boat into skipping the next dive.

And I'm not shilling for Blue XTSea--far from it, since I have never dived with Aldora, and have only sorely out-of-date experience with any others. But Blue XTSea at least claims to match divers on each boat by skill level (I can't confirm either way, since on our boat we dove with the other couple we came with). One of our divers used the DM's 7' hose when low on air. As for steel tanks, okay, if that's really that important to the OP, yes, most people prefer steel over aluminum if they want a higher capacity tank.

Again, I have no horse in this race whatsoever. Before you edited your first post to add that Aldora is the only dive op that you "know of" to satisfy the OP's requirements, it sounded like you were stating it as fact and perhaps unfairly putting Aldora in a class by itself, when from what I've read on SB, they and Blue XT Sea and perhaps a couple of others are pretty much neck and neck in competition for experienced divers who want personalized service.

There are many dive ops in Cozumel that offer great dive experiences,granted not all dive 120's but plenty that offer fast boats and great personal service.I have well over 1000 dives but really enjoy to dive with new divers,to watch there excitement and joy at seeing something new underwater.Honestly I dive 120's all year long and am happy to strap on my travel bc and an a alum80 and jump in the water.
Maybe we should start putting a list together of all the truly good dive shops there really are in Cozumel and all the great services they offer,instead of putting down someone when they mention a shop others haven't heard of in the past.

And I'm not shilling for Blue XTSea--far from it, since I have never dived with Aldora, and have only sorely out-of-date experience with any others. But Blue XTSea at least claims to match divers on each boat by skill level (I can't confirm either way, since on our boat we dove with the other couple we came with). One of our divers used the DM's 7' hose when low on air. As for steel tanks, okay, if that's really that important to the OP, yes, most people prefer steel over aluminum if they want a higher capacity tank.

Again, I have no horse in this race whatsoever. Before you edited your first post to add that Aldora is the only dive op that you "know of" to satisfy the OP's requirements, it sounded like you were stating it as fact and perhaps unfairly putting Aldora in a class by itself, when from what I've read on SB, they and Blue XT Sea and perhaps a couple of others are pretty much neck and neck in competition for experienced divers who want personalized service.

If I'm incorrect I'm sure Christi will post and let us know.

She may very well have an operation on size with Aldora, she might even be diving the East side now and I may be incorrect. I was wrong about something once before back in 1974 so there is a chance of it could happen again.

Since you mentioned it, I do think it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say Aldora is in a class by itself. I've clearly outlined twice just in this thread why they might be considered so. Just being the only op with the vision, ingenuity and means to dive the East side might be enough to declare them so. Add in that they have multiple boats, have their own 'hotel', offer specific dives such as a guaranteed afternoon dive to see the eagle rays, are the only outfit to keep boats on the east side, have their own compressor set-up, have been integral in increasing the safety for all divers by Dave the owner's involvement in making the main tank fill operation safer, had been able to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction while growing larger which is an almost impossible feat in itself, being an early adopter of new safety equipment for their operation etc... etc... etc...... and you've got a pretty good candidate for being in a class all by itself.

And I've also clearly stated that even if they are that doesn't make them the 'best' dive operator on Cozumel, as best is subjective and depends on an individual divers criteria. Just as there are all different types of lodging on the island from hostel to 4 star resort, there is something for everyone based on what is important to them.

Mike, I am no Coz expert. I was considering both Aldora and Blue XTSea for my trip last year, as they seemed to offer similar things. I chose Blue XTSea. I know nothing about the East Side, so if that's a factor for the OP, well, there ya have it.

Since you mentioned it, I do think it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say Aldora is in a class by itself. I've clearly outlined twice just in this thread why they might be considered so. Just being the only op with the vision, ingenuity and means to dive the East side might be enough to declare them so. Add in that they have multiple boats, have their own 'hotel', offer specific dives such as a guaranteed afternoon dive to see the eagle rays, are the only outfit to keep boats on the east side, have their own compressor set-up, have been integral in increasing the safety for all divers by Dave the owner's involvement in making the main tank fill operation safer, had been able to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction while growing larger which is an almost impossible feat in itself, being an early adopter of new safety equipment for their operation etc... etc... etc...... and you've got a pretty good candidate for being in a class all by itself.
I'm surprised Dave isn't paying you.

If you want to dive with a big company, dive with Dive Paradise. Me, I prefer personal service. I like knowing I'm diving not with one of many dive masters on staff but with the owner himself, dive after dive after dive. Have many dives have you done with Dave, just curious? Do you even get the same DM from day to day, let alone from trip to trip?

If I'm incorrect I'm sure Christi will post and let us know.

She may very well have an operation on size with Aldora, she might even be diving the East side now and I may be incorrect. I was wrong about something once before back in 1974 so there is a chance of it could happen again.

And I've also clearly stated that even if they are that doesn't make them the 'best' dive operator on Cozumel, as best is subjective and depends on an individual divers criteria. Just as there are all different types of lodging on the island from hostel to 4 star resort, there is something for everyone based on what is important to them.

No question about it - Aldora is an excellent operation and they are able to do many things that most of us aren't!

As for my shop - no, not as big as Aldora and not diving the East side - but not because I haven't thought about it years ago or investigated the possibility. We actually dove the other side a couple of times before, but in reality it was not a safe way to do it and I won't ever try to repeat that. It was fun and everyone maade it back safely - but it's not something we will do again unless we were able to do it the way Aldora is. If I had an extra boat or two without permits to dive within the park - you can bet that I would be offering East side diving - as that is the best way to have a boat without permits earning money. But you are correct, I don't have the resources to do it at this time. Most of us do not have unlimited funds and resources to do many of the things we really want to be able to do and dream about doing - if that were the case, I am sure there would be many more "Aldora's" out there." Dave has done it very well - but as we all know, there are also many other great shops offering personalized and first class service :)

I'm surprised Dave isn't paying you.

If you want to dive with a big company, dive with Dive Paradise. Me, I prefer personal service. I like knowing I'm diving not with one of many dive masters on staff but with the owner himself, dive after dive after dive. Have many dives have you done with Dave, just curious? Do you even get the same DM from day to day, let alone from trip to trip?

Well, I am not sure why I'm supposed to want to dive with Dave, or why I would care? Personally if I had it my way, I'd rather not dive with any dive master at all no matter what their name was. I much prefer the independence of the way dives are conducted in the Florida Keys or Bonaire where the boat drops you at the dive site and you're responsible for your dive from start to finish. A dive master in the waters in Cozumel to me is just another diver in the group, I give him his respect due, but I don't follow him around like a puppy or get all googly eyed over them like they are diving celebrities or something.

I personally don't think there is any comparison between Dive Paradise and Aldora. I've dived with them both and while Apple is awesome, they are offering two completely different products to divers. As I said, Aldora has done an almost impossible thing which is keep a small dive operation feel while growing large enough to have the resources of a large dive op.

We actually dove the other side a couple of times before, but in reality it was not a safe way to do it and I won't ever try to repeat that. It was fun and everyone maade it back safely - but it's not something we will do again unless we were able to do it the way Aldora is. If I had an extra boat or two without permits to dive within the park - you can bet that I would be offering East side diving - as that is the best way to have a boat without permits earning money.

Christi, do you think it's as dangerous to dive the east side as a shore dive? Now that I know I can rent tanks myself on the island I was thinking about next time I'm there, hitting the east side if it's calm enough and doing a couple of shore dives.

Thoughts?

Christi, do you think it's as dangerous to dive the east side as a shore dive? Now that I know I can rent tanks myself on the island I was thinking about next time I'm there, hitting the east side if it's calm enough and doing a couple of shore dives.

Thoughts?
With no backup for miles? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom