best dive boat on cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bottom dwell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everbody who has dove Cozumel. I am planning a dive trip in a few weeks. Im looking for referrals to a dive boat that is fast, small, and takes experienced divers to the best drift diving sites off the island.

Please respond with any suggestions because I tend make decisions off personal experience.

Thank you for your time and help!

Bottom Dwell

Hi Bottom Dwell ! There are many Cozumel Dive Ops that meet your request ! And, be forewarned, that in true Cozumel Forum form, you are going to get MANY "Best" answers. With that said, my " Best" is for you to, if you have not already take a look at the past few months of trip reviews and recommendations. Then from that info compile a short list of 3-5 dive ops that interest you. Then contact each dive OP with your personal requests, ie: 6 pack, fast boats, reef requests, bottom time limits, rental gear if required, etc. Once you find the answers that fit the best for you, then you can confirm your trip ! Do include where your lodging is as this may restrict some dive ops as some have areas that they do not pick up divers. Overall, regardless of who you dive with, Best Wishes for a wonderful dive trip !

Thanks sue sue
I will be staying at cozumel hotel and resort. Any suggestions on the dive sites you enjoy the most. My first desire and goal is to drift dive a wall of descent depth and then do shallower dives. Im more into biodiversity and colors on the shallower reefs and dont really need the depth looking for big human eating sharks! ha ha

My main concern is getting stuck on a boat herded with inexperinced people.

Thanks again

Bottom Dweller, the search feature wil lshow you pages and pages of results for this question that is asked in various form at least once a week.

I note your statement about bieng "herded with inexperienced people", I also note that you have somewhere between 25-49 dives. Please realize that Coz dives can range from the sublimely effortless to very complex and advanced and so be very aware of your abilities especially as it pertains to some of the most northerly and Southerly sights.

Chris

Thanks sue sue
I will be staying at cozumel hotel and resort. Any suggestions on the dive sites you enjoy the most. My first desire and goal is to drift dive a wall of descent depth and then do shallower dives. Im more into biodiversity and colors on the shallower reefs and dont really need the depth looking for big human eating sharks! ha ha

Thanks again
:laughing: I hope someday when you have several years of dive trips and a few hundred dives, that you may remember to come back and read your posts here - and see how you'd react to that guy...? :eyebrow:

I do see, tho, that you have dived Utila, Australia, Belize, and the Florida Keys so I guess you're more experienced that I first guessed. I hope my honest reply doesn't seem rude. Anyway, to try to give you some answers: Cozumel Hotel & Resort is where I stayed the last couple of trips and you can easily use any Op that picks up at various town docks. The Op at the hotel there is well regarded, but I never wanted to go on their big, slow boats - and I think you want to find an Op with smaller, faster boats as Sue suggested above. Drift diving, wall dives, shallower dives second are the general approach for 2 tank trips in Coz so you should be pleased with whomever you choose. Regardless of which cards you show, dive history, or claims - your Op will want to take you on easier dives the first day to see how you are in the water, then you may find yourself on different boats thereafter going to the better sites. Don't worry tho, as even the easiest sites are fun diving there.

Have a good trip. :pilot:

Usually what happens with the 6-pack dive ops is that sites are ultimately chosen by the DM and captain. Divers can make requests of course, but the DM & captain will then add the experience levels for all divers as well as water conditions. Also the location of where diver pick up can lead to where the dives will be. As far as a wall I would first start with Santa Rosa. Then for my faves, anything Palancar or anything Columbia, Punta Tunich, Dahlia and Paradise day or night. Overall, no worries and you will not go wrong with just letting the dives happen. Happy Diving ! Oh, and don't forget tour trip review once you get back

bottom dwell asked?
best dive boat on cozumel

That would be the one I'm on headed out to dive....:D

Well ok then.......

I promise I won't tell the...
big human eating sharks!

Where you're diving....... Promise......:D

As far as I have observed, there are no crappy sites, so no worries on picking "XYZ Cozumel: We dive the crappy sites!" :) If you are worried about your companions on the boat, I guess you might want to look for a big op that can segregate by skill level. Smaller or one boat ops, you dive with who shows up. That being said, my op lets you dive your tank and computer without set times and I can't say as a new diver ever took away from the experience.

And if you are lucky, you will get to see the shark puppies. They seem to be slowly moving south. Seems like just the other day they we tiny little guys and now they seem almost grown up..... *sniffle*.....

Try www.livingunderwater.com. A small, well built boat designed for Cozumel diving, The Jewfish. 8 divers max and valet service. One of the many fine Cozumel dive ops. I have used his company many times. Generally, expierienced divers on board but not always. The steel tanks they use have more air in them than the standard al80's most boats in CZM use.

Back
Top Bottom