best comp money can buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

planter

Reaction score
Hi I'm fairly new to diving, but wish to buy an air integrated comp prefer console type with both air and nitrox capability (for future possible use) I also want to be able to download my dives to my pc. I was considering either the Suunto cobra or Uwatec smart com. My instructor dives with the smart com and thinks its fantastic, but after reading some of the issues with recall etc I am unsure. Am I missing the big picture and should I be looking elsewhere, money is not the issue and I will pay what I have to.
P.S I live in Australia, I guess thats not relevant but I thought I would throw it in anyway.

Thanks in advance

planter:
Hi I'm fairly new to diving, but wish to buy an air integrated comp prefer console type with both air and nitrox capability (for future possible use) I also want to be able to download my dives to my pc. I was considering either the Suunto cobra or Uwatec smart com. My instructor dives with the smart com and thinks its fantastic, but after reading some of the issues with recall etc I am unsure. Am I missing the big picture and should I be looking elsewhere, money is not the issue and I will pay what I have to.
P.S I live in Australia, I guess thats not relevant but I thought I would throw it in anyway.

Thanks in advance

I got the Aeris Atmos Elite and am VERY happy with it. Hoseless air integration with nitrox capability and a great interface. You can get one for around $600.00.

I currently dive the SmartPro and my wife dives the SmartCOM, as do several other DMs, AIs and Instructors that I work with. While the Smart line of computers has its oddities (like all computers) I am thoroughly impressed by it and prefer it to any other computer I've dove (Suunto Stinger, Suunto Vyper, Suunto Cobra, Mares M1 and Mares Guardian). I like the display. It is easy to read thanks to its use of a large font and logical layout. Further more the PC interface is really good, being IrDA. Some have had issues with it but my understanding is that they related mostly to older PCs. SmartTrak is a good log program and is very easy to use.

As for the recall, many products (including Suunto) have been recalled throughout their history. Uwatec performed a voluntary recall on the Smarts (and replaced all of them) after 3 had problems with the screen locking up. That is my understanding anyway.

Keep in mind, however, a computer is only as good as the divers understanding of the information being provided. Most problems with dive computers stem from divers not understanding what it is telling them.

sherwood wisdom is a great computer to use. very simple. nitrox compatiable but its not hoseless.

Your asking for a lot of computer for a new diver. Air integration is nice, but save some cash and upgrade to an AI computer later if you really feel the need. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but just consider it.

Best all round computer that won't break the bank:

Mares M1 RGBM

- Air/Nitrox/Bottom Timer
- 2 AAA batteries are user replacable
- Night light can be turned on and kept on durring the entire night dive.(I really like this feature)
- LARGE display is easy to read and not cluttered with nice but not very usefull information.
- Under $500.00 Canadian Dollars

I have a Cobra and HAD a Vytec. If you dive nitrox great computer really good!! But if you dive air on 4 to 5 dives aday it is really conservitive big time. You will not be happy. Great computer on nitrox. Has training wheels attached on multi dive on air. Boy I feel it coming!!

The best computer money can buy is the one that is the most priceless, and you already have it. :wink:

I dive with the Atmos Elite and the SmartCom. I prefer the SmartCom. It is another hose, but there are no issues with signal loss. It's also a better interface for me.

The downside of the SmartCom...the o-ring if not lubed every time..the o-ring just inside the female end of the unit on quick-disconnect models tends to leak just a tad over time. It's easily replaced, but can be disconcerting on a dive.

The software for the SmartCom is free and is phenomenal!

Colin Berry

coberry7:
I dive with the Atmos Elite and the SmartCom. I prefer the SmartCom. It is another hose, but there are no issues with signal loss. It's also a better interface for me.

The downside of the SmartCom...the o-ring if not lubed every time..the o-ring just inside the female end of the unit on quick-disconnect models tends to leak just a tad over time. It's easily replaced, but can be disconcerting on a dive.

The software for the SmartCom is free and is phenomenal!

Colin Berry

I haven't had any issues with signal loss with my Atmos Elite. It actually seems to pick up the signal even farther away than advertised and I have never had it lose the signal underwater, even briefly. Even if it did lose contact (and most likely it would only be for a few seconds) you should still dive with some kind of backup SPG or computer.

Back
Top Bottom