best comp money can buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the feedback, I am a big believer in buying the best equipment you can afford in what ever you do, (not just diving) the old adage you get what you pay for is so true. that is not to say there are not bargains out there for less money, but it seems to me that if I bought the uwatec smartcom I would not be going wrong.
I understand what was said about the best computer being free and I agree, its just when I went on my first 4 day live aboard doing 4-5 dives in a day I found the tables really restrictive and was blessed when on the 3 rd day someone lent me a comp and I couldnt get over the differance it made to my pressure group upon leaving the water. Not doing multi level dives, and diving purely on the padi tables made it quite hard to do multi dives on the day and stay within acceptable pressure groups.
hence my quest for the best comp money can buy

We sell a lot of smart coms... and the elite, and the big difference you have to consider is how conservative you want your computer to be. On a 60 ft dive - the smart com will tell you you have 9 less minutes of bottom time than the aeris...

That is a bit to conservative for my personal liking... But they are nice units - and we've had no problems with them - other than an occasional o-ring leak on the QD.

I have a smart com. I love it and have had no problems with it whatsoever. It also makes working out SAC really easy. (I have used both the pre-recall & post-recall models).

The only thing I can say against this particular type of computer (ie. console) is that on ascent it can be difficult to watch the computer and control the ascent (venting ds/bcd gas) all with your left hand. Of course, you can hold the computer with the right hand - until you have to ascend on your SMB line/reel.

I've heard that it's not as conservative as the Suunto - but have had nothing to compare it to.

Of course, it's also "not DIR" (don't know if you are worried about this, I know Im not).

My first computer was an air integrated wireless, and I have the Airsource for my BC, so I am down to like no hoses which is nice.

I tried the Suunto Vytek and now have the Oceanic VT Pro, which is essentially the same as the Aeris (I think it is the same manufacterer?) ANyway, I decided on the Oceanic because they are reasonable (compared to Suunto anyway) and have a lot going on with thier computers in terms of R and D.

The VT can be worn on the wrist, or has a really cool retractable lanyard that attaches to the bottom of the unit. Very soon will also be a compass that mounts to the computer/lanyard assembly, essentially making a wireslesss console you can mount anywhere on your BC with the retractor. Pretty slick.

The Atom will be out soon. Much smaller, multiple gasses, multiple sensor capability, uses the same sensors..The HUD mask is also supposed to be out this year. Has lots of possibilities and uses the same sensor as well.

Seems like Oceanic has a lot shaking so I wanted to be in their court for now...

JAG

planter:
... and was blessed when on the 3 rd day someone lent me a comp and I couldnt get over the differance it made to my pressure group upon leaving the water. Not doing multi level dives, and diving purely on the padi tables made it quite hard to do multi dives on the day and stay within acceptable pressure groups.
hence my quest for the best comp money can buy

Yikes! Well since you are here now and not complaining of getting bent I guess you are fine.

One of the really nice features of a computer is its ability to track your nitrogen levels on a long string of dives over several days. If you "borrow" a computer in the middle of your time on a liveaboard that computer can not know what level of nitrogen you have in your tissues based on your earlier dives, since it did not go with you. Even if the computer in question was on another divers rig it can not know your profile because it was not on your rig.

Cochran computers can be "cloned" but you need to have one with you on all of your dives before you can transfer your profile into another computer. You indicated you were diving tables for the first part of your trip, so that eliminates the cloning thing.

Sorry, but that is a dangerous diving practice. I am glad you are OK but you have dodged a bullet, and you need to be aware of this. You are taking a good aproach by wanting your own computer, and your questions here reflect this positive aproach, but once a long string of dives is begun you are pretty much married to that nitrogen monitoring system until you have a break out of the water. It would be possible to take an accurate profile from a computer and work it backward to multi level dives on tables, but going the other way scares me.

Mark Vlahos

perhaps i didn't explain my self properly or maybe I am missing something. but on day 2 my last dive was over by about 4pm then didn't dive the 3rd day until 9am some 17hrs later I was under the impression that all the nitrogen would have washed from my body and that using a computer for day 3 and 4 would be perfectly safe. Is this the case? or did I really do something reckeless? The computer I borrowed hadn't been used by anyone on the trip it was someones spare so it had not been activated to anyone elses dive profile

if yo uwant to spend money...
then have a look at either
VR3, Explorer or Cochran
But i dont believe that beeing new to diving you would want to spend that much money on a computer that you can only use 1% of its capabilities.
So then i would probably recomend an Aladin Air ZO2, its quite expensive approx $800USD but its worth it.

Kind regards
Jonny Bekkestad

planter:
perhaps i didn't explain my self properly or maybe I am missing something. but on day 2 my last dive was over by about 4pm then didn't dive the 3rd day until 9am some 17hrs later I was under the impression that all the nitrogen would have washed from my body and that using a computer for day 3 and 4 would be perfectly safe. Is this the case? or did I really do something reckeless? The computer I borrowed hadn't been used by anyone on the trip it was someones spare so it had not been activated to anyone elses dive profile

Without knowing your exact profiles it is difficult to say, but a 17 hour washout is probably fine, but I am NOT an expert, I am just a normal diver remembering information from his training, and reading computer instruction manuals. I was under the impression that you would have had less time out of the water than you did, so that explains my reaction.

The other point you make that it was a backup computer that another diver had not taken into the water seems silly to me. If that diver wanted to use it as a backup why did they not take it into the water with them? If their main computer had crapped out they would have needed to spend a long time on the surface to "wash out" the nitrogen in their body. I know this is not you and you are talking about another diver, but heck why have a backup if you don't make it available for use. But I understand that that was a choice made by another and I can accept it.

Mark Vlahos

Spare no expense to buy the best... just don't confuse expensive with best.

The very best thing you could do is purchase an education in decompression diving.
The principle thing is understanding... therefore get understanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom