Best Cavern Diving in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am cavern certified (not cave). Here is the list of caverns I have explored so far:

Blue Grotto
Ginnie Ballroom
Morrison
Jackson Blue
Jug Hole
Madison Blue
Vortex

And here are some more that I definitely plan to explore soon:

Catfish Hotel
Devil's Den
Orange Grove
Troy
Peacock I

Any other good ones I am missing? I really like caverns where there is a big room near the entrance. Thanks for the advice!

Dude, bite the bullet already. You've been cavern level for a while now, right? Isn't it Intro time yet?

Dude, bite the bullet already. You've been cavern level for a while now, right? Isn't it Intro time yet?

LOL WOW! Rushing me into cave diving?!?! Last time I expressed interest in cave training, I was shouted down and told to get a couple hundred more open water dives in first!!! Make up your mind peanut gallery!!!

In all seriousness, I am currently working on TDI Intro to Tech certification. Once I get my back kick and other propulsion / buoyancy / trim issues totally dialed in then I will proceed to cave training. Thanks!!!

LOL here, too. I'm the last person on the planet to rush anyone. I have been working on skills toward the goal of cave for YEARS and only recently felt ready and took Intro. But I have seen your posts, here and on CDF, and your current state of avid cavern diver does seem unusual these days. Best to move on and get the cave training and gear set as soon as you feel you're ready. But I know you know that.

p.s. Who are you doing Intro to Tech with?

your current state of avid cavern diver does seem unusual these days

It's weird but I am actually totally happy to stay at this level. I like short, shallow dives. No longer than 30 minutes. Maybe I am weird but that wouldn't be the first time in my life I am weird.

In terms of gear, I am pretty sure my gear config is already damn close to a cave diver's.

It's weird but I am actually totally happy to stay at this level. I like short, shallow dives. No longer than 30 minutes. Maybe I am weird but that wouldn't be the first time in my life I am weird.

In terms of gear, I am pretty sure my gear config is already damn close to a cave diver's.

Have you been to Mexico yet? More variety, higher quantity of cavern, higher quality of cavern IMO. Short, shallow cavern dives are everywhere between Playa and Tulum, and there are a number of excellent cave-centric shops there to support you.

There just isn't much decent cavern diving in Florida (hence everyone pushing you to go cave when you have the experience), and if that's your jam, Mexico is gonna be far more impressive.

Have you been to Mexico yet?

I actually got my OW certification in Tulum. Dove Casa and Tankha cenotes. Can't wait to go back and I am creating a list of most popular cavern dives in the Yucatan as well. I still love Florida! Cancun airfare has gone through the roof in the last year!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom