Best Cavern Diving in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's weird but I am actually totally happy to stay at this level. I like short, shallow dives. No longer than 30 minutes. Maybe I am weird but that wouldn't be the first time in my life I am weird.

In terms of gear, I am pretty sure my gear config is already damn close to a cave diver's.

I totally get where you are coming from. As much as people complain about the ‘zero to hero’ trend.. there is lot of peer pressure that exists pushing newer cave divers to go past their comfort level.

I might only encourage you take intro, just because there are a few “cave-ern” dives that you might not have considered. Ie: the Gallery at Devils Ear. I have seen cavern training going on in the front section, just inside the ear. I’m not totally on board with this, but think the gallery is a wonderful dive that’s just outside the daylight zone.

I totally get where you are coming from. As much as people complain about the ‘zero to hero’ trend.. there is lot of peer pressure that exists pushing newer cave divers to go past their comfort level.

I might only encourage you take intro, just because there are a few “cave-ern” dives that you might not have considered. Ie: the Gallery at Devils Ear. I have seen cavern training going on in the front section, just inside the ear. I’m not totally on board with this, but think the gallery is a wonderful dive that’s just outside the daylight zone.

Awesome, love to know about those dives (cool spaces just beyond daylight zones) too as they will go onto my list as soon as I have my cave cert in a year or so. I will probably post at that time asking for suggestions of those types.

Devils Den is amazing!

Troy is pretty nice because it has a decent depth of 74~ feet and the Cavern there is HUGE and cool looking. There is a sunk boat but basically only the ribs are left

Troy has a cavern zone?
Sorry by HUGE I didn't mean depth into a cavern. It's an overhead environment that is tall but penetration is maybe 15-20 ft. Definitely nothing like Ginnie or larger cavern dives.

Orange Grove has always been one of my favorite cavern dives. Nothing like being in Lower Orange Grove 95 feet or so 0 and looking up towards the basin.

Buford would be another but you will need to check conditions first.

Agree with @carobinsoniv about Orange Grove. My wife and I did a lot of practice there as there is plenty of room for reel work. Also being a bit out of the way, it was never crowded. As a bonus when you are done playing in the cavern, you can go up to the cave entrance and swim short distance down to sign before you have to turn back. The view may encourage you to start intro sooner.

Heading to Orange Grove this weekend!!

Usually stay at High Springs Country Inn and fill at Cave Country. Any other options we should consider for home base?

Usually stay at High Springs Country Inn and fill at Cave Country. Any other options we should consider for home base?

Call Cathy at Dive Outpost (386-776-1449) which is less than five minutes from WSPSSP. She has a bunkhouse around 25 pp per night. Also, she has some more private rooms that are a little more. There is a kitchen attached to the dive shop or you can drive 10 to 15 minutes to Mayo or Live Oak for meals. You really need a sandwich from the Luraville Country Store. Nice thing about DO is the chance to talk to other divers in the evening.

Also, Linda may still rent trailers left over from Cave Excursions. Some of those are also 5 minutes away. If you need her number, let me know.

I and perhaps others would be interested in a short report about current conditions. Also what you thought of the place. Have fun and be safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom