Best Bag to use for Carry On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He most generally is quite entertaining.

I noticed the 108 was a tank but didnt know if an old model of bags was labeled that. Letterboy being the funny guy on the Forum

Do you carry your BC on?
I actually do carry my BP/W on the aircraft.

I have been known to when they tell me I have to gate check a bag because the overhead bins are full to remove everything from my carry on, BP/W (I got funny looks wearing it onto the plane) regulators, computers,laptops, fins etc etc and hand carry it on the plane. . .
Letterboy was just funning with me.

I don't think anybody would be carrying a 108 Cubic Foot scuba tank on board as carry on, even if it was in a BC.:D
would vs should vs could. all very different things to different people. . .

I guess one of us missed the humor in the post. . .

In other news, I can now find the equation for the curve of a parabola, hyperbola, and ellipse.

HAHA that would be priceless to see. I bet she wouldnt say your carry on is to big again :)

Before you trash a product that does not meet with your requirements and make a blanket statement that it does not meet regulation, make sure you know what you are talking about.

I know what I am talking about, you are being inconsistent. In one post you say that by following instructions provided that the pack meets airline regulations. In another post you go on to say that you don't use the turtle pack and don't use it to carry your fins. So you are not using it as described in the video.

I believe you when you say without the fins and turtle pack (what about the spider pack?) that the bag will meet airline specs. However, the point of this bag is to carry all of the dive gear as carry-on. When you start removing things then you could use a much less expensive bag. You do have a good point though, the OP should take his gear down to the shop and pack it, then measure the bag dimensions.

I too know what I am talking about. I have a dive caddy and have used it.

I also could make it work if I wanted to change fins. The Aqualung fins I mentioned earlier are shorter and work just fine. If I wanted to buy a pair of them.........

Aqualung also makes a complete kit that can be put in one of their bags, with the contents being a Zuma BC and the slingshot fins. I have a friend that has one. That does not suit my taste so I bought and use the Dive Caddy and, since fins easily rented (if the checked bag gets lost) It is of no real consequence to me.

I have and use a dive caddy, I am quite happy with it and I use it the way I see fit, even if you don't like it.

That is the end of my comments in this matter.

Carry on.

I know what I am talking about, you are being inconsistent. In one post you say that by following instructions provided that the pack meets airline regulations. In another post you go on to say that you don't use the turtle pack and don't use it to carry your fins. So you are not using it as described in the video.

I believe you when you say without the fins and turtle pack (what about the spider pack?) that the bag will meet airline specs. However, the point of this bag is to carry all of the dive gear as carry-on. When you start removing things then you could use a much less expensive bag. You do have a good point though, the OP should take his gear down to the shop and pack it, then measure the bag dimensions.

Because I'm 63 and no longer like to carry a large backpack type carry on and I only do tropical. I use a 22" wheeled carry on, by Eagle Creek which is also great for any non dive flights as well. Also because I am slender, I can fit everything but fins and camera . I can fit my Dive Right Travel Pac BCD w/ sausage and snorkel, my regs and pressure gage , my 3.5 mm wetsuit , beanie and booties , mask, wrist and BUD computer, DRIS shorty dive light, one change of sox's and un's , fishing shirt and zip leg pants/shorts. small travel toothpaste and brush ,floss and extra reading glasses.

Then on my next trip I will also carry on a medium size camera bag With Olympus EMP 1 and housing and Sola video/focus light and small Ultralight arm system.

The only thing I cannot fit in is my Atomic split fins they go in the checked bag with the rest of my clothes and boat bag. knife etc.

However I am looking into some Hollis F2 fins to see if they fit, If they do It will be a tight squeeze for height, the Eagle has good compression straps, so we will see. Cheers , Kev

That is the end of my comments in this matter.

Carry on.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

The last thing I will say about my duffle is it cost 23 dollars, holds everything and I know it will fit restrictions. I wasn't even asked to check it on my last puddle jump ride to/from Bonaire!

Carry on...

The 11th post in this thread is from the manufacturer, notice he never expressly states that the bag meets airline size regulations.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2013 at 04:27 PM ----------

I have and use a dive caddy, I am quite happy with it and I use it the way I see fit, even if you don't like it.

I never said I did not like the product. I said it does not meet airline size requirements, which could be a problem with foreign carriers.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

haha. great point. Well guys I think I have decided to pull the Trigger on the DIVECADDY G3. any other options or recommendations? To my knowledge and after researching, nothing compares to the DiveCaddy.

The scuba market is pretty small compared to some other sports so most of the scuba related bags are going to be marketed by the dive gear manufacturers. If you become a traveling diver then you will want to make your gear choices based on weight and ease of packing. For example instead of a knife, carry a Trilobite instead, use smaller fins, wrist mounted gauges instead of the boot, etc.

Contrary to what Dmoore says I do not hate the Dive Caddy. However, I do feel that the manufacturer markets the product in a somewhat deceptive manner. As Dmoore points out whether or not the bag meets airline requirements depends on your gear selection which is not clearly stated. I also strongly believe that the gear used in the video would not meet airline specifications when folded. Especially when adding a spider pack and turtle pack.

I don't use the turtle pack and have never had a problem with any of the airlines or it fitting in an overhead. I did have to check it at the plane door a couple of times on a small commuter plane in Belize, but grabbed it as soon as I got off. With more and more people not wanting to pay to check a bag, overhead space is filling up, but that will be true with any bag. The front doesn't have any padding, but a put a wetsuit in the pocket that ends up on top and it protects everything including my regs.

Back
Top Bottom