Best Bag to use for Carry On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just watched the Dive Caddy video on their website. During the unpacking he says "Now I've got a set of 28" Atomic XL split fins" - which fit fine in the fin pocket - in fact you can see there's even a little room left over as he undoes the flaps and shows the fin caddy.

Earlier he showed the straps that can be used to bend them over but he didn't appear to be using them in the video. So therefore the assumption is that as packed his Dive Caddy is about 28" long without the Turtle Pack attached. I'd estimate it conservatively at 4" wide.

US Airways has this restriction in the baggage section of their website:
Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)

So therefore please explain how a 28" fin/Dive Caddy + 4" Turtle Pack fits in a 22" space?

That thing must really be amazing if it can do that...:D How does that work? Built in Dehydrator?

If the carry-on policies were strictly enforced, a full Dive Caddy wouldn't be allowed on most domestic flights. Nor Guitars. End of story.

my .02

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

I plan to put my regulator, computer, mask, snorkel, etc.... In my regulator bag or backpack
Technically the Dive Caddy is your backpack - i.e. you can't have 3 separate carry-ons. If a gate attendant was fussy they wouldn't let you board with a Dive Caddy and backpack also - the backpack stretches the idea of your "personal item". I have on occasion stuffed a lot of stuff into a laptop bag that just happened to have multiple pockets. And was made for a 17" laptop when mine was a 14" screen.

With all the increased checked baggage fees, I doubt anyone's carry-on luggage is going to get smaller anytime soon. Isn't one of the cheaper airlines (Air Trans?) charging for carry-ons now also?

Last edited:
I fly several times a year so I am well aware of airline policies regarding baggage size. I am also aware of the little bins in front of the ticket and gate agents that no one uses. Most of the carry-ons I see on a plane do not meet the policy and are oversize. I have only seen people stopped on domestic flights when the size of the bag is clearly checked-luggage size. However, international carriers are far more strict as to size and weight. The Cathay Pacific wench even came after me with a fish scale to weigh my bag. So you need to be careful, as I said my bag was within domestic airline specs.

You can argue with me all you want about commuter planes but the fact is your luggage goes in the cargo hold the same as the checked luggage and cargo. It just goes in last and comes out first and is either on the ramp or on a cart. If the plane does not pass the weight and balance check your luggage can be bumped off the fight. I have seen this happen on several flights. My seat mate was upset when the US Airways removed her bag containing pizza from the hold. I have had both luggage and items damaged by gate checking bags, they do not receive any special treatment except showing up at the gate rather than at the luggage carousel.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

With all the increased checked baggage fees, I doubt anyone's carry-on luggage is going to get smaller anytime soon. Isn't one of the cheaper airlines (Air Trans?) charging for carry-ons now also?

I am not sure about AirTran but I know Allegent and Spirit do as well as some others.

Agreed ^ - actually our last time thru Puerto Rico my carry-on was gate checked but I picked it up off the baggage carousel in Houston. There was no option to retrieve it in the jetway. I was given a standard claim ticket like my other one.

Another issue I had is once I was stopped literally at the plane door as the overheads were all full - since the checked bag fees have been implemented I frequently see that. Since I only had one bag with me, my passport, laptop, wallet and video gear were in it. So I had to hold up the line while getting those items out - I took a chance with the video housing and my regs since I have a hard sided roller bag. The flight attendant then pointed out to me - and everyone behind me - that our bags would then ride down a circular slide attached to the gate mechanism to the baggage handler below. I assume someone was there to catch them.

Steve, if you fly commuter planes it is common for all carry-ons to be gate checked and retrieved when you exit the aircraft. There is just no room in the plane for a standard carry-on. You generally pick them up at the end of the jetway or in a cart if you exit using stairs outside. I assume this is done to make it easier if you have a connection to make. I remember once having the luggage gate checked and then wind up on the luggage carousel but it did not matter because I did not have a connection to make. It may have been a mistake on the airline's part but I don't remember anymore.

If you look at what I said, I clearly said I don't put my fins in the dive caddy, I put them in my checked bag. I don't have atomic XL fins, maybe you do. If you do then they will not fit. My fins will fit, IF they are bent over on the tips. Aqua lung slingshots will fit, No dehydrator needed. :wink: I don't use the turtle pack as carry on.

I carefully measure and make sure that I am within the guidelines for the airline I am flying on.

The Dive Caddy works for me with the given measurements.

If the airlines strictly enforced regulations 1/2 of the crap that gets stuffed into the overheads would not be allowed.

I carefully checked and did the research before I bought it. Caveat Emptor

I just watched the Dive Caddy video on their website. During the unpacking he says "Now I've got a set of 28" Atomic XL split fins" - which fit fine in the fin pocket - in fact you can see there's even a little room left over as he undoes the flaps and shows the fin caddy.

Earlier he showed the straps that can be used to bend them over but he didn't appear to be using them in the video. So therefore the assumption is that as packed his Dive Caddy is about 28" long without the Turtle Pack attached. I'd estimate it conservatively at 4" wide.

US Airways has this restriction in the baggage section of their website:

So therefore please explain how a 28" fin/Dive Caddy + 4" Turtle Pack fits in a 22" space?

That thing must really be amazing if it can do that...:D How does that work? Built in Dehydrator?

If the carry-on policies were strictly enforced, a full Dive Caddy wouldn't be allowed on most domestic flights. Nor Guitars. End of story.

my .02

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

Technically the Dive Caddy is your backpack - i.e. you can't have 3 separate carry-ons. If a gate attendant was fussy they wouldn't let you board with a Dive Caddy and backpack also - the backpack stretches the idea of your "personal item". I have on occasion stuffed a lot of stuff into a laptop bag that just happened to have multiple pockets. And was made for a 17" laptop when mine was a 14" screen.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2013 at 12:49 AM ----------

I am not arguing with you. It is not an argument when I have clearly stated my experience and have noted YMMV. I have had no problems with commuter airlines, it sounds like you, no, somebody on the same flight as you, has had a problem. Again, I have not.

I actually took my gear to the scuba shop and loaded the dive caddy with my gear and carefully measured. I did my research. Did you?

It appears you have had a different experience. Even though you have never owned a dive caddy. I have not.

If you don't like the piece don't buy one. Before you trash a product that does not meet with your requirements and make a blanket statement that it does not meet regulation, make sure you know what you are talking about. I noted the exception I generally make, I do not carry my fins in the dive caddy, they go in my carry on.

I also have a scale, I weight my bags before they are loaded or carried on the plane both going and on return. I research these things as I do not want any problems. I am on vacation and don't need it.

I fly several times a year so I am well aware of airline policies regarding baggage size. I am also aware of the little bins in front of the ticket and gate agents that no one uses. Most of the carry-ons I see on a plane do not meet the policy and are oversize. I have only seen people stopped on domestic flights when the size of the bag is clearly checked-luggage size. However, international carriers are far more strict as to size and weight. The Cathay Pacific wench even came after me with a fish scale to weigh my bag. So you need to be careful, as I said my bag was within domestic airline specs.

You can argue with me all you want about commuter planes but the fact is your luggage goes in the cargo hold the same as the checked luggage and cargo. It just goes in last and comes out first and is either on the ramp or on a cart. If the plane does not pass the weight and balance check your luggage can be bumped off the fight. I have seen this happen on several flights. My seat mate was upset when the US Airways removed her bag containing pizza from the hold. I have had both luggage and items damaged by gate checking bags, they do not receive any special treatment except showing up at the gate rather than at the luggage carousel.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

I am not sure about AirTran but I know Allegent and Spirit do as well as some others.

If you look at what I said, I clearly said I don't put my fins in the dive caddy, I put them in my checked bag. I don't have atomic XL fins, maybe you do. If you do then they will not fit. My fins will fit, IF they are bent over on the tips. Aqua lung slingshots will fit, No dehydrator needed. :wink: I don't use the turtle pack as carry on.

I carefully measure and make sure that I am within the guidelines for the airline I am flying on.

The Dive Caddy works for me with the given measurements.

If the airlines strictly enforced regulations 1/2 of the crap that gets stuffed into the overheads would not be allowed.

I carefully checked and did the research before I bought it.
Actually my comments were directed at people who'd posted above yours. Since I noticed that you mentioned also checking fins etc.

I have Tusa XL fins. But they're split so they would bend if needed. If we assume that the owner of Dive Caddy uses his product - and that those were his fins in his demo video - I don't see how his setup would fall within the sizing box. Unless you broke it down into component pieces and stuffed each one in any way you could. I think Apollo XL fins are even longer than mine.

I'lll stand by my original summary - a Dive Caddy with 28" fins and a 4" Turtle Pack on the end can't fit in a 22" opening in the sizing frame. At 9" the frame isn't wide enough for it to fit diagonally. Following a strict interpretation of the carry-on rules - every so often I've encountered a gate agent who does - it won't be allowed.

Like you've I've seen people with over sized luggage on flights. Once I watched someone unsuccessfully try for about 3min. - with others waiting behind him - to stuff an obviously over sized tennis rolling duffle bag in the overhead. How they even let him on the plane with it IDK...finally the flight attendant took it and checked it so the rest of us could continue boarding.

Open up your Dive Caddy. Measure the length of the empty fin pocket. Is it more than 22" long? Or did the new model get bigger?

I have to open it and measure to let you know. Even if it is 22" laying flat, when you buckle the straps up and compress things down it isn't going to be 22".

People who do not bother to make sure their carry on is within limits really bother me. They seem to think they are the only ones who want to carry on their stuff.

Actually my comments were directed at people who'd posted above yours. Since I noticed that you mentioned also checking fins etc.

I have Tusa XL fins. But they're split so they would bend if needed. If we assume that the owner of Dive Caddy uses his product - and that those were his fins in his demo video - I don't see how his setup would fall within the sizing box. Unless you broke it down into component pieces and stuffed each one in any way you could. I think Apollo XL fins are even longer than mine.

I'lll stand by my original summary - a Dive Caddy with 28" fins and a 4" Turtle Pack on the end can't fit in a 22" opening in the sizing frame. At 9" the frame isn't wide enough for it to fit diagonally. Following a strict interpretation of the carry-on rules - every so often I've encountered a gate agent who does - it won't be allowed.

Like you've I've seen people with over sized luggage on flights. Once I watched someone unsuccessfully try for about 3min. - with others waiting behind him - to stuff an obviously over sized tennis rolling duffle bag in the overhead. How they even let him on the plane with it IDK...finally the flight attendant took it and checked it so the rest of us could continue boarding.

Open up your Dive Caddy. Measure the length of the empty fin pocket. Is it more than 22" long? Or did the new model get bigger?

WOW, I guess this discussion got heated quickly :cool2:. I didn't mean for it to be this type of a discussion. I appreciate everyones input. I still agree with everyone that uses the DiveCaddy. Not sure if there is really a better rig out there for doing carry on's. I was looking at the Aqualung Ocean Pack but the DiveCaddy is a lot more organized.

Can anyone verify if the DiveCaddy has much for protection for your gear?

Thanks again to everyone

I am not that familiar and have never seen a dive caddy in person. The dive gear I would be putting in it is:

aqualung axiom bc
3mm suit
boots
aquabionic warp 1 fins

I plan to put my regulator, computer, mask, snorkel, etc.... In my regulator bag or backpack

The Dive Caddy is your regulator bag and backpack...

WOW, I guess this discussion got heated quickly :cool2:. I didn't mean for it to be this type of a discussion. I appreciate everyones input. I still agree with everyone that uses the DiveCaddy. Not sure if there is really a better rig out there for doing carry on's. I was looking at the Aqualung Ocean Pack but the DiveCaddy is a lot more organized.

Thanks again to everyone

The Dive Caddy doesn't really protect anything; it's just fabric. The way it's designed to be packed, the gear protects itself. More sensitive gear (like regulators) is packed so as to be surrounded by other gear that provides padding and protection.

Not heated at all. Just want to make sure you get the information you asked for.

Thanks again to everyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom