Best Bag to use for Carry On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ebags Etech2.0 Weekender Convertible is THE carryon bag for serious flyers.

This seems like a very nice bag but it is not a roller bag and may be a PITA to carry in the airport if not used as a backpack. Especially for people like me that overstuff them.

BTW, Marshall's and Ross sometimes have inexpensive good quality bags for sale. It is worth checking them out.

This seems like a very nice bag but it is not a roller bag and may be a PITA to carry in the airport if not used as a backpack. Especially for people like me that overstuff them.

BTW, Marshall's and Ross sometimes have inexpensive good quality bags for sale. It is worth checking them out.

Keep in mind you've got a 40 lb weight limit on a carry on and you have to be able to lift it into the overhead. With only 1.6 cubic feet or 22" x 14" x 9" you're dealing with those rollers and handles cut into that tiny 1.6 cubic feet.

If you have to have a roller, you have to have one, but you're going to find the carry ons that make the most of that 1.6 cubic feet are not going to be rollers.

Keep in mind you've got a 40 lb weight limit on a carry on and you have to be able to lift it into the overhead. With only 1.6 cubic feet or 22" x 14" x 9" you're dealing with those rollers and handles cut into that tiny 1.6 cubic feet.

If you have to have a roller, you have to have one, but you're going to find the carry ons that make the most of that 1.6 cubic feet are not going to be rollers.

I am not sure where the 40 lb limit you mention comes from. I checked American, Delta, and United and none list a weight limit for a carry-on only a restriction on dimensions. The only airline that ever weighed my carry-on is Cathay Pacific and their limit is 15 lbs. (I was over).

I know that the ebags (along with the Rick Steve's bag) are highly recommended carry-on bags. I agree with you that the ebags would be fine for scuba. Usually when I travel I carry a roller bag as a carry-on and a backpack as a personal item. Many other people do the same. If you use the ebag as a backpack then your stuck with a brief case or a messenger bag as a personal item. As a passenger you want to maximize the total space allowed.

I agree that roller bags do reduce the amount of space available in that bag but not by much because you are only accommodating two wheels. With spinner bags you loose the full 2" in length. What is really needed is some sort of small wheel system like on a gravity conveyor or removable wheels you can store under the seat.

At airports, next to the ticket counters, I've seen posted limits of 25lbs. I can't recall which airline though.

A Dive Caddy is not airline regulation size, so an airline can make you check it. Also it is too big if traveling on a commuter plane and will wind up in the cargo hold with the rest of the luggage.

Are you sure? The most I've ever done is take the turtle pack off. Then it fits in the overhead bin just like any other bag. With the turtle pack on, it does need to go sideways, but I've been able to put both of ours in together, covering no more space than they would placed individually facing out.
I've never been asked to gate check them, though.

Dive caddy's size id highly dependent on what you pack inside. But a reasonable packed dive caddy, especially with fins is definitely NOT carry on compliant. It is too long. And for sure it wont fit into the carry one size check cage, close but won't fit. Often time, you may get lucky as everyone else. The one time you aren't luck, you will have to repack your gear, put them into the including duffle bad and check it in.

My personal experience went like this. I packed my gears flight from SFO to Shanghai. Everything went fine. On my way back, for a reason not relavent here, I made a stop at Boston. On the international to domestic change, my dive caddy was denied. I had to took out my fins and checked them in. Without the fins, the structure of the cadd is basically back back plate, so quick small. BTW, my travel fins are OMS slip stream Large.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2014 at 10:38 PM ----------

It depends on the airline. Some airlines will give specific dimension limits, while others give a general "total dimensions may not exceed" limit. .....

This is incorrect. The regulation for carry on is supposed to be enforced by TSA at security. Think about it, you haven't even get to the gate if TSA stop you at security. Even if you tell them your airline is OK with it, they have the right to not let your bag in if you bad don't fit into the cage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom