Best Bag to use for Carry On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaND

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

I will be going to Mexico this winter and would like to be able to carry everything on to prevent from luggage being lost plus having to pay for a 2nd checked bag :wink:.

I will be taking a 3 mm suit, axiom bc, fins, etc...

I plan having my regulator, computer, mask, snorkel, and all the little items in my regulator bag. I have looked at a few of Aqualung's bags but want to make sure I do not get hung up and then have to check my dive gear.

Any thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks

I use a military 3day bag or the sort, granted I don't take my fins and wetsuit onboard, but it fits everything including all my electronics (laptop, tablet, headphones, HDDx3 and all assorted chargers etc.

The bag in front of me now is an spec ops brand bag, has compression straps down the side you could put the fins onto, I guess. . .

I will keep my opinions on carrying everything on to myself...unless you have hogged the bin on my next flight. :wink:

But, if you're saying you're going to use your regulator bag as your personal item, I would reconsider. Reg bags are fine for storage at home but aren't a necessary item and aren't really intended as luggage. A small backpack is an acceptable personal item and probably holds more than your reg bag. Plus you can have it on your back instead of carrying it.

Dive caddy.

I am able to fit an entire set of warm water gear, including BP/W (or BCD), fins, mask, regs, computers, 3/2 full, diveskin, hood, booties, gloves, flipflops, and short/tshirts in my Dive Caddy without any difficulty. And I've never had to gate check it.

You are allowed 2 bags. One for whatever and 1 personal bag. I get a backpack that is the maximum size allowed and then I carry a double regulator bag from Armor Bags that looks like a laptop bag or a duffle style bag. I have carried 6 sets of regulators, 2 can lights, 2 Shearwater computers, backup lights and clothes this way. Most airlines have a policy of 50 lbs per carryon but I have definitely been well over that and no one has said anything. I once had a checked bag that was a few pounds over weight and Delta was giving me a hard time so I pulled out the stainless plate and wore it onto the plane. Got some weird looks but it shut the ticket agent up.

Your limiting factor will be the fins. Many are longer then the size limit for carry-ons. Mine are short enough to fit into a canvas duffle. I place the fins along the sides, boots in corners, BCD next with small items in pockets and others like SMB and reel still clipped. Reg set wrapped in wetsuit and nested in BCD. Mask, snorkel, etc tucked into various spaces. Still room for a change of cloths.

Your limiting factor will be the fins. Many are longer then the size limit for carry-ons. Mine are short enough to fit into a canvas duffle. I place the fins along the sides, boots in corners, BCD next with small items in pockets and others like SMB and reel still clipped. Reg set wrapped in wetsuit and nested in BCD. Mask, snorkel, etc tucked into various spaces. Still room for a change of cloths.

One of the flaps on the dive caddy wraps over the tips and folds them down, which works nicely to shorten long fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom