Best Backpacker pack for scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
i used a real backpacker's backpack for all my scuba stuff. Not only can u carry it it with comfort (remember this pack is designed for hikers to go hike the backcountry with heavy weights for weeks), the backpack is designed to carry far more weight than your average scuba gear and the material used is tough.

The real comfortable waist straps transfers the weight to your waist instead of your fragile shoulders. This pack also have a front access loading which means, the pack opens up fully on the front, better than a duffle bag. My halcyon Pioneer system goes in without a hitch due to the wide openings.

Warning: If you buy a backpacker's backpack without front loading, then you will experience a nightmare trying to squeeze and cramp your gear into such pack.

Granite Gear Nimbus Access 3800 - Closeout
$149.93 Item 701912
Compare at: $230.00 34% Off!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...08001&langId=-1

linky to the manufacturer

http://www.granitegear.com/products...ght/access3800/

I don't see the point. I have a couple of backpacks, but I've never loaded one with scuba gear. How far are you walking that a rubbermaid bin or wheeled duffle bag isn't better? A pack is a pain to lift up and put on, then it needs to be adjusted and cinched down. A bin or duffle just needs to be picked up and wheeled or dragged around.

A panel loading pack could be fine if you have to for some reason carry all your gear half a mile or so... but then you'd still need to carry tanks, so you might as well just suit up right?

Actually, maybe hes diving in small lakes in the mountains. I know where I live that there is no way in hell anything with wheels is going to follow you up that trail. Of course, you would have to be pretty hardcore to carry your gear & a tank on a hike that far. Then again, it would be fun diving in a lake so pristine, clear and virgin that it could be worth it.

wheels dont like sand, from experience.. also, on international flights, there are strict weight limits. 70lbs per bag.. wheeled bags weigh so much more than non-wheeled bags. so i like using bigass backpacks to stuff more important heavy stuff in, rather than waste poundage on wheels and handle or whatever. (a good 10-12lbs) i got the akona padded backpack thing from LP for a lil over 100$ its a nice big one and empty, it weighs like 1lb or something and comes with a padded reg bag that fits in the front pocket, plus a pouch thing for god knows what. and a water bottle. sweeeet!

Back
Top Bottom