Best all around Henderson Hyperstretch - 3mm vs 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am set on ordering Henderson Hyperstretch full suit but having problem choosing between 3mm and 5mm version. I am trying to get the best all around suit - one that I can use on dives in the Carribean (Cozumel, islands) as well as in Egypt (Red sea) and in Florida Keys. I understand with ordinary neoprene full suit I would just go with 3mm and be done with it. However after doing much reading on this board I gathered that the stretchier the suit material is the more it going to compress during a dive, especially at depth - so a 3mm regular neoprene suit will be closer to a 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch. Is that so? Can someone who tried/owns both of these suits comment on this please?
Buoyancy-wise, on my summer trip to Mexico I dove multiple tanks in lycra skin suit (82F water) and still had to put on 13lbs of weights. I understand diving in a neoprene suit will increase the weight required to stay balanced. So I guess this is another considerating when choosing thickness of a suit. Any input is appreciated.

I had both suits at one point, and definitely used the 5mm much more than the 3mm. I do a lot of repetitive diving (we travel to dive) thus needed that much neoprene in a Hyperstretch even when the water was 80 degrees. On the other hand, my husband has been very comfortable in his 3mm Hyperstretch in 80 degree water doing 4-5 dives per day for 5 days in a row, while I needed my 5mm (on a liveaboard).

MUCH will depend on your cold tolerance, how many dives you're doing per day, how many dives you're doing in a row, and how warm the air is outside between dives.

Frankly, I'd say if you did repetitive diving in 82 degree water with a skin and were comfortable, you'd probably be just fine with a 3mm. You could easily pick up a vest (hooded or not) to layer under a 3mm suit for a bit more warmth when needed.

I had both suits at one point, and definitely used the 5mm much more than the 3mm. I do a lot of repetitive diving (we travel to dive) thus needed that much neoprene in a Hyperstretch even when the water was 80 degrees. On the other hand, my husband has been very comfortable in his 3mm Hyperstretch in 80 degree water doing 4-5 dives per day for 5 days in a row, while I needed my 5mm (on a liveaboard).

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how Hyperstretch material compares to regular neoprene warmth-wise? I was initially considering Henderson Thermoprene full suit in 3mm (basically replaced regular neoprene in their line) but now that updated version of Hyperstretch is nearly here I am changing my mind. Based on your response I think I am going to be fine though.

For what it is worth, several years ago, I bought a Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 mm suit and loved it so much I immediately purchased a 3mm version too. (Thought I was SO smart!) The Hyperstretch literally CHANGED diving for me compared to struggling to don a conventional neoprene suit!

I found that even in a 7/5 mm version I was SO comfortable that I have rarely worn the 3 mil. (I do loan it out a lot though)

I ALWAYS wear the 7/5 and am quite comfortable from 63 - 82 degrees. Any warmer than 82 F, I wear swim trunks & T shirt (24 dives in 5.5 days in Bonaire and never became chilled!)

I imagine you would be better served by the 5mm.

It does get compressed/worn over time but the comfort is WORTH it!

I am just now (>250 dives later) contemplating buying another one but my is coming apart at the knees!

I am pondering idea of buying their newest Hyperstretch 2 (H2) as I am now spending more time in the water but am debating 5 mil or 7 mil.

I ALWAYS wear the 7/5 and am quite comfortable from 63 - 82 degrees. Any warmer than 82 F, I wear swim trunks & T shirt (24 dives in 5.5 days in Bonaire and never became chilled!)

Do you ever overheat in warm water? Does the suit compress at depth (>90 feet)? My concern is - diving in Cozumel during this past summer in a dive skin I had to put on 13 lbs of weight. I imagine with a 5 mm full suit I will have to wear way more weight to stay balanced. Thanks.

Do you ever overheat in warm water? Does the suit compress at depth (>90 feet)? My concern is - diving in Cozumel during this past summer in a dive skin I had to put on 13 lbs of weight. I imagine with a 5 mm full suit I will have to wear way more weight to stay balanced. Thanks.

I have never overheated in warm water (I pull open neck and flush suit occasionally if/when I get warm - or if I have a wetsuit accident! Hey it happens!)

ALL wetsuits compress as a function of increased pressure at depth.

I wear 12 lbs in fresh water with this 7/5mm. (I do have a 6lb stainless steel Back Plate) and a more buoyant Aluminum 80 tank. I may still be a bit heavy but *** works well for me.

I think the fact you wore 13 lbs with a skin may have a little bit more to do with your newness to the sport (based solely on your reported number of dives)

It is not uncommon for newer divers to require more weight and slowly as they gain experience and become more comfortable to be able to slowly decrease carried weight.

If you purchased the 5mm Hyperstretch suit I do not think you'd be disappointed.
I have never become COLD in the water other than when not wearing a hood or gloves, granted I have only dove in about 55 degree water temps (7/5mm) and that is not my typical conditions.

I'd suggest splitting your required weight between weight integrated BC and remainder on a ditchable weight belt. My wife uses a pocketed weight belt from Scubapro because she requires more weight and a conventional belt is tougher to set up for her, in regards to keeping her attitude and trim in the water correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom