3mm vs 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I was pretty set on getting a 3mm full suit as I only plan to buy one suit right now. It will be for diving mostly the keys, FL east coast, and Florida gulf coast. I’ll occasionally hit a spring or two. I recently had a 3mm in 63 degree quarry and got cold towards the end but I usually run pretty hot so it wasn’t bad. Dive shop nearby recommended a 5mm and said I can always open it up and let water in and cool down, but if I have a 3 and get cold, can’t warm up. Anyone else think the 5 is the better option if trying to only get one? Thanks!
Hi @thomasj1107

I have been diving in SE Florida (Boynton Beach, Jupiter, West Palm) for 13 years. I have a full 3 mm, 5 mm, and 7 mm, as well as a 5/3 mm hooded vest, and use them all every year. I do not tolerate being cold as well as I did when I was younger. I will often do up to 4 dives per day, over 4 hours of dive time. Another important piece of equipment is a good boat coat, to protect you from the wind and cold during your surface interval. I wear gloves when it is cool, even if I don't need them for protection.

Personally, I wear my 3 mm +/- hooded vest down to mid-high 70s. I wear the 5 mm +/- hooded vest down to low 70s and the 7 mm with the hooded vest below that. With the 7 mm and hooded vest, I can do a couple of dives down to the low 50s, i.e. Southern California.

People sometimes joke that I am overdressed, I'm frequently the only warm diver on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom